    Based on my basic knowledge it seems like a fairly capable machine?

    Has anyone had expeience good or bad with them and able to comment?

    Cheers

    kNOWER, Oct 7, 2007

  2. kNOWER

    John Guest

    You can get better value from buying from an online NZ store. Those specs
    could also be very low grade componets, plus dells budget monitors(unless
    they are an ultrasharp) aren't very good. Read the consumer website about
    how dell has been in trouble by breaching the fair trading act.

    John, Oct 7, 2007

  3. They are decent good value for money machines. Slots may be limited which
    may hinder additional cards or RAM which you may want to add on later.

    The only thing I do not like is they charge your credit card when you order
    not when they ship which may be a couple of weeks later (or longer).

    I recently bought some Optiplex 745c with Vista license but pre-installed
    with windows XP. The package included both XP and Vista media.

    Whalemeat is Yummy, Oct 7, 2007
  4. Dell IMO:
    - usually OK value for money
    - consumer systems are sometimes a bit dodgy, but
    usually ok
    - consumer helpdesk/support is TERRIBLE
    - business systems and support is OK. (But of course you
    pay more)
    - networking, servers, accessories etc - nothing special
    - monitors - surprisingly good and cheap (they are
    getting a good rep in this niche)

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 7, 2007
  5. kNOWER

    Geoff Guest

    Buy something with some local support and that you can get parts for. Their
    "help" desk is called "Dell Hell" for a reason.
    IMO, the quality is not great, and for the same dollars, your local shop
    can do better, and parts will be available, and cheaper. I have an Inspiron
    5150 laptop. In warranty it had the motherboard replaced (twice), DVD
    drive, power supply, keyboard and case top. The replacement DVD drive died
    2 months out of warranty, and the Consumer Guarentees Act doesn't apply in
    Bangalore or Malaysia. There is no local address other than a PO Box. They
    would sell me a replacement drive for $350...
    Geoff

    Geoff, Oct 7, 2007
  6. kNOWER

    John Guest

    I wouldn't agree. I priced up a dell, compared to what coul dbe built
    locally and dell ended up more expensive.

    John, Oct 7, 2007
  7. kNOWER

    John Guest

    They do sell through Dell NZ ltd, so it is a NZ company, and you are covered
    by the CGA. I have even made a claim under the CGA Their Dell Hell desk
    however work out of malayasia or india and they wouldn't have a clue about
    NZ laws and they only follow a flow chart when you talk to them.

    John, Oct 7, 2007
  8. And that machine probably counted as both an XP and a Vista sale. Makes you
    wonder if Microsoft's market-share figures aren't getting a little
    inflated...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2007
  9. kNOWER

    Donchano Guest

    Sorry I missed this earlier. Here's my reply to a more recent thread:

    Three replacement motherboards, 1 replacement CD/DVD drive, 1
    replacement monitor in less than a year and a failure to honour our
    24/7 onsite service agreement.

    For some reason, Dell changed its NZ courier company from NZ Couriers
    (which does deliver to our door) to CourierPost (which doesn't to
    rural properties such as ours) ... and doing so without informing or
    warning me that my monitor would not be couriered to me at home, even
    though I have a 24/7 *onsite* service agreement.

    So instead of getting my replacement monitor when it was promised, I
    had to wait several days while Dell tried to determine why I didn't
    receive the replacement monitor and where it had gone. Just by chance,
    I dropped into our local village shop and the owner informed me that
    the rural post delivery woman (known locally as "Post Bitch") had
    dropped off a large box for me several days earlier. Why hadn't I been
    notified? Why didn't Dell know about this? Whatever the reason, I
    wasn't getting the *onsite* service that I paid for.

    Add to that the three months it took Dell to arrange for the pick-up
    of the faulty monitor from my house.

    CourierPost also doesn't pick up from rural properties more than
    (IIRC) five hundred metres from the main road and I refused to make a
    ten kilometre trip to the nearest PostShop to leave it off. So it sat
    in my office until Dell finally figured out a way to discharge its
    onsite service contract with me.

    But it's the latest motherboard episode that has really convinced me
    not to recommend Dell. After my initial phone call to the 24/7 service
    line it took two months of further phone calls and long, tedious tests
    for Dell to arrange for a another new motherboard to be installed.

    I have nothing but praise for the technicians who come out to my place
    to service my grunty, full featured Dell Dimension 9150. But after two
    months of problems that had been diagnosed during the first phone call
    as being caused by yet another faulty motherboard, I couldn't help but
    be left with the feeling that Dell was giving me a huge runaround that
    caused me a great deal of inconvenience.

    That's why I won't recommend Dell.

    Donchano, Nov 18, 2007
  10. I'll second that.

    Friend bought a Dell laptop a while ago (had been out of contact for a
    while, otherwise I would have steered him to something else) and I had
    to fix it a couple of times. Slow, poorly made and poor value for
    money in my view. Another friend took my advice, bought an Asus and is
    still happy with it a couple of years later.

    Friends dont let friends buy Dell :)

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Nov 19, 2007
  11. Oh, and this quote from an article someone posted here (about Windows)
    does rather reinforce the point

    "Case in point from the Secret Diary of Steve Jobs: "See here. This
    woman says Dell shipped her a defective machine and when she
    complained they sent her four more, all of them also defective. The
    "defect," which still plagues her fifth machine is that her computer
    "goes to a blue screen, which indicates a serious error that requires
    the PC to be restarted." Poor lady didn't realize, apparently, that in
    the world of Windows this is not a defect. It's normal operating
    procedure."

    Peter Jenkins, Nov 19, 2007
  12. kNOWER

    Geoff Guest

    I will third that. II had Dell Hell with my laptop - replaced DVD drive
    (since died again 8 months later, but out of warranty, so they are not
    interested), 2 montherboards, case top, keyboard, power adapter. The screen
    now has a red tinge as well.
    Don't buy Dell. Buy something with local support that speaks English, and
    has a storefront you can deliver court summons to.
    Geoff

    Geoff, Nov 19, 2007
  13. Are you a business ? If not, consumer guarantees act. A DVD drive should
    last a lot longer than 8 months. :)
    ... and there is that :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 20, 2007