    Once Windows setup has begun, it will tell you if a previous installation exists.
    At least this will confirm the drive was loaded when installed.

    Tip: Stop being snippy with the people you ask to help you.

    Harrison, Aug 21, 2005

  2. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Did not mean to be snippy but I have had it with this stuff until dell
    can replace the thing.
    I tried what you said. Cd in drive. Chose Cd rom as boot. Exact
    message No boot device available. Strike f1.

    joevan, Aug 21, 2005

  3. joevan

    Harrison Guest

    If you want to try one more thing, open the case and make sure the technician attached the data cables back to the HDD
    and CD drives.

    Harrison, Aug 21, 2005
  4. joevan

    joevan Guest

    That was the first thing I did. I just rechecked and changed the boot
    sequence to cd and the same thing happened. Hit f1.

    joevan, Aug 21, 2005
  5. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Some of you probably know what had to be done. I called dell. pretty
    the guy was good this time. It took a while but it is working just
    fine now.
    A clue: alt D alt E then what. The dell people here will know, and
    the dell person today said that when hds are replaced he is looking
    into getting this procedure standardized or whatever for the person
    who has to have a new drive.

    joevan, Aug 22, 2005
  6. joevan

    Harrison Guest

    Alt L Alt L?
    Never heard that one before.
    Glad you got it worked out.

    Harrison, Aug 22, 2005
  7. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Not Alt L.
    Alt D, then Alt E and then the final Alt -----?
    Does anyone else know?

    joevan, Aug 22, 2005
  8. joevan

    beachman Guest

    Where you went wrong was when you bought a Dell

    Their tech support is the worst I have ever seen.

    I had 1 of their lemmons one time.

    Never again

    beachman, Aug 22, 2005