Dell Quality...Tech Knowledge

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ERSATZ, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. ERSATZ

    ERSATZ Guest

    Anyone having trouble getting answers from Dell Tech center.

    Just received Dell 3000 and has a grinding sound, that is loud and then
    fades lower only to come back louder.

    I call , get Tech Center...wherever that is...and am told.. that even though
    I purchased the on site warranty...that I have to perform various tests
    before the Tech decides that problem can't be fixed via telephone and then
    authorizes a Tech/Repair visit.

    I told the Tech that I was 80 years old, that the computer was under the
    desk so he had to be patient because I don't move very fast.

    I also told them that I purchased the "On Site" warranty because of my age
    and I wanted...in case of my demise... to be sure that if anything went
    wrong with the Dell 3000 all my wife would have to do was place a call and
    some Tech would come to house and fix the problem.

    In difference to Tech , he was patient.

    The first thing I was instructed to do was run the IDE tests which when
    completed, showed Passed. Then I was told to lay the Tower on it's right
    side, take of the side panel and remove the Ram chips and to reinstall. How
    Ram could cause a grinding sound, which the Tech says he hears when I place
    the phone close to the tower, escapes me.

    Note that on my first call to Tech Service, the Tech commented...after I had
    told him about the noise...which he verified that he heard when I placed the
    telephone close to the Tower...that the sound appears to be a fan noise
    problem.

    I'm told to check leads from the large Muffin Fan...Muffin Fan is my term,
    he just said fan... to see if the lead connectors are seated...am also told
    that since the 3000 is a fast machine that there will be noise...etc, etc,
    ad infinitum.

    Tech also had me turn the computer off and on several times... I had already
    informed him that another Tech had me run a diagnostic IDE test, that when
    completed showed that the IDE ( Hard drive ) had passed...he asked me to
    look at the Hard drive. This was the last tech I talked to. He promised to
    call me back after he checked with someone or something...I'm still awaiting
    his call back. 3 days have passed and he has not called....He gave his name
    a NEO. He also said he too could hear the noise when I , again, place the
    telephone near the Tower.

    I've talked to several Tech's and it appears that they give phony names when
    you ask them for their name. And when yo call back, you never can get the
    same Tech so yoou end up repeating and repeating...even though they give you
    a "Case Number".

    This is a brand new computer, How it got out of the factory with the
    problem. Only Dell QC knows.

    Appreciate any input .

    One of our sons who nagged me to buy a Dell apologizes. He owns a company
    that uses many computers, "Now" says that Dell service is not what it used
    to be.

    Goof was mine, I should have posted to this forum Before I made the
    purchase.

    Thanks for any help or guidence

    ERSATZ, Jan 15, 2005

  2. Run it with the side of the case off and see if you can locate the
    source of the noise. If it's a fan, take it to a local shop or Radio
    Shack and get a replacement. Consider the $10-$20 you spend as
    aggravation saved in trying to deal with Dell's tech droids.

    Their "on site" tech support is as they say. First they want to be
    satisfied that there is no possible way on earth they can wiggle out of
    sending a tech to your location before they'll agree to do it. It costs
    them money and somebody will get fired if they go sending techs around
    the countryside willy-nilly.

    Tell your son that you have deducted the amount of the computer from
    what you are leaving him in the will.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 15, 2005

  3. ERSATZ

    Mara Guest

    Dull + Support = oxymoron.

    If you want to fool around with warranty work, by all means continue to call
    them. Be prepared to pull your hair out, use curses you didn't know you knew,
    and to wonder why your 5-year-old nephew knows more about Dull systems than the
    Dull techs appear to.

    If you want to get the system fixed, though, and fixed quickly, call a local
    tech. It's probably your best chance of ending up with a system that will
    actually last.

    "It might be worth the money to end the aggravation."

    Mara, Jan 15, 2005
  4. ERSATZ

    Richard Guest

    www.dell.com

    Go to the forums and post your problem in the appropriate forum.
    Include your tag number so they'll be able to check it.
    The people on the forums seem to be a bit more responsive than the phone
    people.
    When I first got my dell, a 4300, I posted several things and got results
    rather quickly.
    I said I was missing this or that, and a few days later got it.

    Even though your drive may have passed all the tests, that grinding noise
    could still be the drive.
    I had a drive making a noise so loud, I told the tech person, it sounded
    like a jet plane taking off and he heard it clearly over the phone.
    His suggestion was to replace the drive ASAP.

    In your case, I would simply ask on the forum for a replacement drive and
    find out if that is truly the cause.
    Send the old one back to them.
    As I said, the forum is much more friendly and knowledgable.

    Richard, Jan 15, 2005
  5. In belated reply to something you posted earlier, the carcasses I have
    lying about are generally without memory. (Isn't that a Jeffrey Dahlmer
    quote?) That's normally the first item to get robbed. Working CDRs are
    next. Mostly it's old cases with the motherboards and a few peripherals,
    maybe the hard drive, maybe not, maybe a sound card or modem, maybe not.
    I didn't think you'd be too excited to receive them.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 15, 2005
  6. ERSATZ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Mara wrote:
    |
    | > "It might be worth the money to end the aggravation."
    | >
    | In belated reply to something you posted earlier, the carcasses I have
    | lying about are generally without memory. (Isn't that a Jeffrey Dahlmer
    | quote?) That's normally the first item to get robbed. Working CDRs are
    | next. Mostly it's old cases with the motherboards and a few peripherals,
    | maybe the hard drive, maybe not, maybe a sound card or modem, maybe not.

    Gee, Roger - sounds like *MY* spare room <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2005
  7. ERSATZ

    Mara Guest

    Probably not, for most of it; I've got a basement room full of that stuff
    already. Curiously, one thing I *do* seem to be short of is case fans. They're
    cheap enough though that it's not a real problem. And, nowadays I take the easy
    way out and buy modded cases with extra fans already installed. I sometimes
    replace the PS with a different one as the originals seem a bit underpowered to
    me, but I suppose when you're running everything but the kitchen sink off of one
    system you kind of have to. <g>

    Mara, Jan 15, 2005
  8. ERSATZ

    dadiOH Guest

    *Everybody* has problems getting answers from *any* tech help. That
    assumes the tech is understandable. A big assumption.
    ___________________
    <snip>

    "Grinding" = movement. What moves in a computer?
    Fans
    Drives

    Something else could make noise via an induced vibration from a moving
    part but that would be a rattle.
    ___________________
    the
    desk so he had to be patient because I don't move very fast.

    Call the lame sombitches again. Tell them you are a paraplegic - that
    you type with a pencil in your teeth - and for them to get their sorry
    asses in gear and get someone out there because you have already gone
    through all their telephone trouble shooting BS. If you paid by credit
    card, you might want call the CC folks to dispute the charge...that
    should get Dell's attention pretty quick.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Jan 15, 2005
  9. That's why it's a spare room. It's full of spares.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 15, 2005
  10. ERSATZ

    Lookout Guest

    And the answer is.....I got lucky. The guy who I bought the computer
    from had installed a program that did exactly that. But as it was so
    long ago he's forgot what it was. But we did have a program that read
    you system and displayed it with a DOS command.

    Lookout, Feb 6, 2005