    pro's and cons.

    Thanks in advance

    , Nov 4, 2005

  2. Tony Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have two dell rack mounted server both with dual ethernet port. I
    > have searched and searched on the Dell site and cannot find a
    > definitive answer to the following question:
    >
    > Should both Networks Connections be Dynamic IP's, both Static or can I
    > mix and match. What are the possible issues involved with each and the
    > pro's and cons.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    It depends what you are using them for.

    As a general rule, the Ethernet card connected to the LAN should have a
    static IP so you can easily find it from the network. Also if it is acting
    as a DHCP server then it will need a static IP (else it will have no where
    to get an IP address from). The other network card, it depends what it is
    connected to.

    Tony, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Guest

    I think that you have answered the question. You see, I thought that
    the purpose of the two ethernet ports was to allow a dual connection to
    the LAN, that's the impression I got anyway.

    I assume that it is best to only have one ethernet port connected to
    the LAN.

    What other uses are there for the second port, we only have a
    relatively small network. 2 Windows 2003 Standard servers. One of which
    isn't even active yet but will be used a print server. A Snap Appliance
    4200 snap server and an old windows NT 4.0 box that runs our intranet.

    Thanks for your help

    , Nov 4, 2005
  4. why? Guest

    On 4 Nov 2005 07:43:22 -0800, wrote:

    >I think that you have answered the question. You see, I thought that
    >the purpose of the two ethernet ports was to allow a dual connection to
    >the LAN, that's the impression I got anyway.

    That's why there are 2.

    >I assume that it is best to only have one ethernet port connected to
    >the LAN.

    No.

    >What other uses are there for the second port, we only have a

    Either a remote management port or use both ports teamed together. This
    provies backup in case 1 port or part of the network fails.

    In teamed mode each NIC has it's own addresses, and the team appears as
    a single virtual address. Both are then connected to 2 different
    switches which are in turn connected to different paths to the backbone.

    Another case is due to the time it takes to backup, the backup traffic
    would impact on usual day traffic the 2nd port is connected to an
    independent backup LAN.

    >relatively small network. 2 Windows 2003 Standard servers. One of which
    >isn't even active yet but will be used a print server. A Snap Appliance
    >4200 snap server and an old windows NT 4.0 box that runs our intranet.
    >
    >Thanks for your help

    Me

    why?, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > I have two dell rack mounted server both with dual ethernet port. I
    > have searched and searched on the Dell site and cannot find a
    > definitive answer to the following question:
    >
    > Should both Networks Connections be Dynamic IP's, both Static or can I
    > mix and match. What are the possible issues involved with each and the
    > pro's and cons.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    On my network server, one NIC is for the LAN, one is for the WAN. In other
    words, the Internet connection (from the router) goes into the WAN
    connection, and the other is connected to the LAN, so all PCs have Internet
    access through the server.

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 5, 2005