    Can somebody please tell me how to set it up as a CDROM drive.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Ted

    Ted Capon, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Ted Capon

    Wintr Guest

    If this is the "old" C- Series then I have some bad news for you. You
    cant do what you wish to do, the parallel connector you are speaking
    about is just what it is marked for "floppy only", a model number would
    help though but AFAIK you are battling a lost cause.

    Wintr, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Ted Capon

    Ted Capon Guest

    Many thanks for responding. I'm sure that you are right about this.

    The model is the Latitude CPi Model No PPL

    Ted Capon, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Ted Capon

    whosbest54 Guest

    The floppy connector to the parallel port never worked for the CD drives on
    these older Dell Latitudes. The CD drives only worked in the bays. The
    cable will only work with a floppy. Can't you slide the drive into the drive
    bay?

    whosbest54

    http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/

    http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

    whosbest54, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Ted Capon

    Wintr Guest

    Just checked an old c600 lying around that is model pp01L.
    Unfortunately you cant do what you wish too as I was afraid with that
    model either. This does have the two battery/expansion bays in the
    front doesnt it? If it does then it should slide into it. Otherwise I
    would look into getting it repaired, its still a decent machine and
    still serviceable.

    Wintr, Feb 9, 2006
  6. Ted Capon

    Ted Capon Guest

    The new drive is much thicker than the original one and won't fit in the
    bay.
    I've discarded the old one anyway ( actually my wife threw it out! ) so I'll
    have to look around and see if anyone is selling a working drive.

    Thank you all for your responses.

    Ted Capon, Feb 9, 2006
  7. Ted Capon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Ted Capon spewed forth:
    Does the new drive also have a floppy disk unit attached? If so, you can
    probably disassemble the CD-ROM from floppy drive. My old Inspiron 7500 and
    7000 systems had both drives built together like that. But the CD-ROM unit
    could be removed and replaced or used elsewhere.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 10, 2006