Dell Laptop : Prevent it from going in Standby when lid shuts?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Scott269, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Scott269

    Scott269 Guest

    Got a Dell Latitude D610 I use at work that I have hooked up to a 21"
    monitor while I'm in the office so I don't have to work on the little
    lcd screen or use the laptop keyboard. Got the computer hooked up to a
    power supply the whole time. Got the power settings set as the
    following :

    Turn off monitor - never, Turn off hard disks - never, System standby -
    2 hours, System hibernates - 5 hours, when I close the lid of my
    portable computer - Do nothing, When I press the power button on my
    computer - shut down, When I press the sleep button on my computer - Do
    nothing.

    Still, when I get the lid within an inch or so of being closed (or of
    course close it completly), it goes blank leaving my 21" monitor blank
    also. Not 100% sure if its standby or just a sort of screen saver, as
    it comes back on almost instantly when I crack it open a little
    further.

    So now to get my 21" monitor to work with the laptop, I need to leave
    it at least halfway open. Is there any way around this other than
    getting an expensive docking station? I'd like to be able to close the
    laptop without the 21" montior going blank. Do I need to change the
    power settings to something else?

    Scott269, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Scott269

    Evan Platt Guest

    There's I beleieve two settings on the CRT/LCD function key (Function
    F8 on my Dell Inspiron). One is just the external display, one is both
    the laptop display and an external display. Try the other one?

    Or look in the laptop's Bios for a option to do with closing the lid.

    Evan Platt, Dec 1, 2005

  3. Scott269

    Scott269 Guest

    Great! That's exactly what I needed, thanks, Function F8 was indeed
    the key combo.

    Scott269, Dec 1, 2005