Dell Inspiron 8200 Power Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by craigmphillips, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. My Dell Inspiron 8200 vintage 2002 has developed the following power
    issue-

    When running on AC the power adapter light turns off and the adapter
    stops supplying power to the laptop/batteries. If I unplug the adapter

    and wait a few minutes then plug it back in the light on the adapter
    comes on and power is supplied to the laptop/batteries for about 2-3
    minutes then it powers off again.

    If I plug in the adapter but do not attached the laptop the power light

    on the adapter remains on forever.

    I am thinking the most likely cuplrit is the DC supply board. BTW-I
    have also noticed an odd sound (techinical term) coming from the
    fan/power supply area of the laptop when operating. The noise is like
    a scraping sound and does not correlate with the HD operation. Also
    the fans seem to work fine although I notice the odd sound when the
    fans are not running.

    Does anyone have experience with this situation????? Please advise..

    Bewildered in Phoenix

    craigmphillips, Feb 25, 2006

  2. craigmphillips

    bmoag Guest

    Clearly it sounds like the power brick is dying. Contact Dell and they will
    be happy to sell you a new one. There are aftermarket brands, like Targus,
    which are lighter in weight. I used one with a Compaq partable for a while
    but ended up having to buy a replacement Compaq power brick anyway.

    bmoag, Feb 25, 2006