    Would also be interested in any first (or second) hand accounts for this
    model or any usefull url's to reviews.

    TIA

    Chris, Jul 5, 2004

  2. All the Dells we get at work come with standard Windows XP(SP1a) CDs.
    They're Dell Optiplex 270s

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 6, 2004

  3. I think it is extremely likely that it does, since this vastly simplifies
    the reinstallation process for the home users these machines are
    predominantly aimed at.

    Even Insite Technology are now supplying recovery CDs with their PCs.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Yes, thats what I was thinking, however, after some further digging around
    I found a PDF manual for that model which refers to the Windows XP
    Operating System CD as well as Dell driver CD when in the "Re install the
    OS" section. On that basis I guess it would be safe to assume it's the
    real thing....

    Thanks for the replies people

    Chris, Jul 6, 2004
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Just for the sake of the archive ....

    It is stated here:

    http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/kb/document.asp?DN=RG1077922#add_info

    "All Dell systems that are factory-installed with the Windows XP operating
    system ship with a Dell-branded Windows XP operating system reinstallation
    CD.

    NOTE: This CD is not an image restoration CD; it is either the Windows XP
    Professional Edition or Windows XP Home Edition operating system CD."

    So looks like they just have their own logo, printing etc on the windows CD

    Chris, Jul 6, 2004
  6. It may be a customised version of the Windows XP CD.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 6, 2004
  7. Chris

    Richard Guest

    And specific OEM keys on the case that will only work with that CD, before you
    think of trying a normal XP OEM cd if you lose that one :( I have a useless
    product key stuck to my dell that I got used.

    I actually prefer to see image restoration CDs rather then seperate drivers for
    PCs targeted at newbies, I would like to have an option to do a bare install
    myself, but the idea of some button pusher trying to install video and sound
    drivers scares me somewhat.

    Richard, Jul 6, 2004
  8. <snip>

    Ive got quite a few 600m's at work and had to do a restore on one of them.
    Put in the Dell branded "Windows XP Pro" CD, and the installation looks just
    like the real thing. - I havent tried using different Product Keys on this
    disc, I assmue its just like any OEM release CD - which is probably
    restricted to OEM numbers only.
    They are good machines too, only had one fail (graphics card problem) - but
    was repaired by dell onsite.

    Cheers

    Matt

    Matthew Strickland, Jul 6, 2004
  9. they have a few things like a dell folder on the root of the c: drive,
    that has some utils in it, they work on non dells from err. trial and
    error too.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 7, 2004
  10. OEMs can put in a custom answers file and tell it to install software
    along with the OS. If they know what hardware is in the system they can
    reduce the number of questions in the installation.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 7, 2004
  11. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I spoke to someone at Dell today who told me that I can do my own install
    from the Dell/Windows CD that is supplied i.e. it's not a restore image.
    basically I was wanting to format then partition the HDD then do a fresh
    install. I'll make my own restore CD after I have finished, then when I
    add new software etc I'll make another etc. I was going to look at
    www.litepc.com for an installer as I quite liked the win98 installer they
    came out with. Though i'd go for the SXGA 14.1" LCD since I'll most likely
    spend a bit of time looking at it.

    Chris, Jul 7, 2004