Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop sticking in sleep mode?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jules, Sep 22, 2006.

  1. Jules

    Jules Guest

    Hi all,

    My better half has a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. Sometimes (but not always
    it would seem) if it goes to sleep when the lid's shut then it doesn't
    wake up properly when the lid's opened again; pressing keys gives the
    impression that it's alive (caps-lock lights the LED, various keys show
    signs of disk activity etc.) yet the display remains blank.

    In that situation, holding down the power key until the machine switches
    off is the only 'cure'. (using the key combination to switch between
    internal and external display has no effect, so it's not that it's just
    started up again and is trying to use a non-existant external CRT)

    System is Windows XP Home, patched with all the latest drivers that we can
    find. All checks for viruses, spyware etc. done - I'm confident that the
    machine's clean.

    Any ideas? Couldn't see anything obvious on Dell's website. Looks like
    some form of display problem, but not sure if it's a hardware fault or
    just a software issue.

    cheers

    Jules

    Jules, Sep 22, 2006