Dell Dimension 3000 Won't boot into XP

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by John P. Dearing, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Got a system dropped into my lap and it's driving me nutty!

    Details.....

    Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop
    Celeron 2.4GHz
    512 MB DDR
    80 Gig Hard Drive
    CD/ROM
    Factory load of Windows XP Home on an NTFS partition

    The system powers up and I can run the F12 diagnostics from the hard
    drive. The system passes all the built-in Dell diagnostics.

    Trying to do a normal boot, the system displays the usual Dell BIOS
    splash screen then the screen goes blank and we're all locked up.

    If I set the system up to boot from CD first, I can boot with Ultimate
    Boot CD and the utilities all seem to run OK. So far, this seems to
    indicate mostly functional hardware, including the hard drive since I
    can access the Dell utility partition.

    If I try to boot with a Windows XP CD the system starts to boot,
    displays the "Setup is inspecting you hardware configuration" message.
    Then the screen goes black and we're all locked up, just like booting
    from the CD.

    I have tried using Bart's PE and UBCD4Win (based on Bart's PE but more
    utilities). Both CD's boot just fine on my other systems but the Dell
    just goes and locks up.

    Seems to be some kind of NT thing.

    Anyone seen this before? Any quick suggestions before I ask them for the
    system restore disk or waste enormous amounts of time on this?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    John

    John P. Dearing, Sep 29, 2005

  2. John P. Dearing

    Joe Guest

    Are you able to boot in Safe Mode?
    Sounds like the NTLDR might be problem from my own past experience but that
    is just a guess.
    Good luck with it, if i think of anything else, i will let you know

    Joe

    Hello, John!
    You wrote on Thu, 29 Sep 2005 01:17:54 GMT:

    JPD> Details.....

    JPD> Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop
    JPD> Celeron 2.4GHz
    JPD> 512 MB DDR
    JPD> 80 Gig Hard Drive
    JPD> CD/ROM
    JPD> Factory load of Windows XP Home on an NTFS partition

    JPD> The system powers up and I can run the F12 diagnostics from the hard
    JPD> drive. The system passes all the built-in Dell diagnostics.

    JPD> Trying to do a normal boot, the system displays the usual Dell BIOS
    JPD> splash screen then the screen goes blank and we're all locked up.

    JPD> If I set the system up to boot from CD first, I can boot with Ultimate
    JPD> Boot CD and the utilities all seem to run OK. So far, this seems to
    JPD> indicate mostly functional hardware, including the hard drive since I
    JPD> can access the Dell utility partition.

    JPD> If I try to boot with a Windows XP CD the system starts to boot,
    JPD> displays the "Setup is inspecting you hardware configuration" message.
    JPD> Then the screen goes black and we're all locked up, just like booting
    JPD> from the CD.

    JPD> I have tried using Bart's PE and UBCD4Win (based on Bart's PE but more
    JPD> utilities). Both CD's boot just fine on my other systems but the Dell
    JPD> just goes and locks up.

    JPD> Seems to be some kind of NT thing.

    JPD> Anyone seen this before? Any quick suggestions before I ask them for
    JPD> the system restore disk or waste enormous amounts of time on this?

    JPD> Thanks in advance for your help.

    JPD> John

    With best regards, Joe. E-mail:

    Joe, Sep 29, 2005

  3. The Dell Windows XP CD? Is the restore on a separate partition, like
    some other proprietary manufacturers like to do?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 29, 2005
  4. Thanks for the tip.

    I hope the system is new enough that the system restore is built into
    the system. It was about a year ago that Dell started including this
    failsafe system restore on their systems.

    This system may or may not have it.

    I was hoping for something a little less drastic than a full system
    restore to day one...

    Thanks again!

    John

    John P. Dearing, Oct 1, 2005
  5. I don't know about Dell, but HP has 2 levels of restore, one destroys
    data, one doesn't.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 1, 2005
  6. Wound up doing exactly this and the system came back OK.

    Unfortunately, all other data was lost but the user was aware of this
    going in.

    Ran all appropriate Critical Updates and Security Updates and all seems
    fine now. Will be returning the system tomorrow.

    Thanks for the tip!!

    John

    John P. Dearing, Oct 3, 2005