    The mentality, and irresponsibility, of some of these guys is amazing.
    No wonder HP is doing so well with their PC's.

    B.

    Bob, Jun 29, 2010

  2. Bob

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Seconded.

    Desk Rabbit, Jun 29, 2010

  3. Bob

    Moldy Cheese Guest

    Moldy Cheese, Jun 29, 2010
  4. Bob

    Moldy Cheese Guest

    Moldy Cheese, Jun 29, 2010
  5. Bob

    Meat Plow Guest

    Blame Intel for the faulty capacitors. They manufactured the bulk of the
    mainboards for Dell over the years. I've had three Intel mainboards fail
    because of cheap capacitors. Yet I have a couple old AMD boards from Soyo
    and Asus with Athlon T-Birds that still perform well (as well as can be
    expected lacking all the new CPU instruction sets.)

    Meat Plow, Jun 29, 2010
  6. Bob

    Mike Easter Guest

    I don't think that article by Ashlee Vance is properly 'balanced'.

    He is taking/accepting the perspective of the litigants in the lawsuit
    against Dell instead of presenting both their side of the argument and
    what Dell did and has done to mitigate an industry wide problem known as
    'the capacitor plague'.

    The result of the plague - described here^1 in a wiki article - was that
    lots and lots of mobos go bad because of bad caps, and everyone who
    messes with hardware problems is alert to the fact that bad caps need to
    be considered and sought out in the investigation of a problem.

    From the article's view of the lawsuit's documents, it sounds like Dell
    was particularly callous about dealing with the problems which they got
    caught 'in the middle' by the industry-wide plague.

    It will be interesting to see where the suit goes. Dell has 'normal'
    warranties and you can buy extended warranties; then it seems that
    their liability would end. Presumably the suit is about the 'coverup'.

    The other wiki article^2 which has a lot to say about lawsuits against
    Dell over the years, didn't seem to even know about this issue until the
    NYT article, in spite of the fact that the suit was filed in federal
    court in NC 3 years ago. The documents have been sealed until now.

    NYT article http://peek.snipr.com/yce4x
    ^1 capacitor plague http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
    ^2 Dell suits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawsuits_involving_Dell_Inc.

    Mike Easter, Jun 29, 2010