    What is the trick to deleting read messages?

    Thanks,
    Steve

    heim, Dec 11, 2004

  2. I find that all messages that I have read are automatically deleted when
    I close the Newsgroup. I don't remember enabling this option but maybe
    someone else will help you. I assume you mean newsgroups, if not then
    you need to move your Emails to the Trash folder and delete them,then
    select File\Compact Folders to permanently delete the Emails.

    [email protected], Dec 11, 2004

  3. heim

    heim Guest

    Having messed with TB for only a couple of days, I have found that I can
    either drag and drop read messages or Move them to the Trash folder.
    However, then I have to Delete them to make them go away. With the
    newgroup I was prompted to delete one message at a time, but the program
    seems to sort of choke when it does it. In Forte Free Agent I was able
    to highlight all those that I read and wanted to deleted. It's not that
    critical for me, as I am sure I will figure it out either way. I have
    bigger fish to fry with TB and will post here and to the Zine.
    Thanks,
    Steve

    heim, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Try the extension Buttons, the right arrow will go to the next message
    and when you exit all read messages will be deleted.

    [email protected], Dec 11, 2004
  5. heim

    Url Guest

    Also, at the newsgroup level, clicking view, messages, unread will only
    show unread messages. To view all, you need to click view, messages, all.

    Url, Dec 11, 2004
  6. heim

    heim Guest

    Please advise "the extension buttons"??? I have no right or left arrows
    on the toolbar. Thanks

    heim, Dec 11, 2004
  7. Leonidas Jones, Dec 11, 2004
  8. heim

    Herb Guest

    Related question to NGs -- I've marked a particular NG as "mark all
    messages read" and then I compacted it. When I log off and later log
    back on, the NG comes up with something like 600 unread messages. When I
    click on that NG, then it only shows the most recent (a few, like 5 or
    10) unread messages, which is accurate. But why is it when I log in, I
    initially see that "600" unread number.

    Thanx, Herb

    Herb, Dec 11, 2004
  9. Unless you are downloading newsgroup messages for offline reading,
    compacting a newsgroup folder will do nothing, as the messages are
    stored on the server.

    Your problem is caused by a corrupted summary or msf file, Go to your
    profile folder, and, in the News sub folder, there will be a folder
    specifically for that news account. Find the summary (msf) file
    associated with the problem group. Delete it.

    Restart TB. Click on th group. It will download the headers again, and
    once done, the problem will be cleared.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 11, 2004
  10. Go to
    :https://update.mozilla.org/extensio...thunderbird&version=1.0&numpg=10&category=All
    ,then left click on the tool bar. A smallbox with customise will appear
    click on it and a screen will appear with a host of Buttons, if you just
    want the arrows then drag and drop them to the position you want on the
    Tool bar. I have found that the large right arrow and the small left
    arrow work best.

    It is usually easier go to Tools\Extensions\Options and this will take
    you to the same page , just select all. My Options button isn't working
    so I couldn't check it for you. Will give me something to do to
    repair it.

    -

    -
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

    [email protected], Dec 12, 2004
  11. heim

    Herb Guest

    Thanx. That seemed to help a lot. I actually deleted the msf file a few
    times. The numbers come in much lower when I check-in [ more like 20
    unread msgs or so] and then they go to reality [about 10 unread msgs]
    when I click on the NG.

    Herb, Dec 12, 2004