    Whats the easiest way to delete the old installation....i've tried just
    deleting the folders and it won't let me do it.

    Cheers,

    kirsty bennett, Sep 3, 2005

  2. kirsty bennett

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Didn't read the instructions very carefully then...the option is there
    (delete existing partition).
    Of course not. If you installed Windows back into the same drive, it is
    probably *using* those folders. You need to re-post your question with a
    better description of the problem. Like, is your computer hard drive now
    showing TWO hard drives - C: and D: (or something else)? What drive name is
    Windows actually using for the install you want to keep?

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005

  3. kirsty bennett

    SgtMinor Guest

    For next time:
    "How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP"

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341&Product=winxp

    SgtMinor, Sep 3, 2005
  4. kirsty bennett

    Trax Guest

    |>Hi People,
    |>
    |>Just a quick query, I've recently had to perform a reinstall of xp but had
    |>no option of deleting the original installation by reformatting etc! So at
    |>the moment i have the new install working perfectly, but still have all the
    |>other windows folders on the C: drive. Also, now, upon booting, I have the
    |>option of starting either the new installation or the old one.

    Right click "my computer", Properties, Advanced, and Startup and
    recovery. Click on edit and remove the installation you don't want.

    (backup C:\boot.ini first (a hidden file)

    |>Whats the easiest way to delete the old installation....i've tried just
    |>deleting the folders and it won't let me do it.

    Then these folders are protected (being used), make sure your deleting
    the right OS.

    Trax, Sep 3, 2005