    I'm not really sure, so I'm just checking before I do anything.

    Thanks,
    Pablo

    Pablo, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Pablo

    VWWall Guest

    Pablo wrote:

    > I had mandrake linux on a second hard drive, which I have just
    > reformatted to FAT32. When I installed linux, LILO was installed in the
    > MBR. Is it alright for me to use fdisk to remove the MBR, or will it
    > mess something up?

    If you're not using a BIOS extension like EZBios there is no problem.
    fdisk/ mbr will rewrite the original MBR, thus removing LILO. It will
    not affect normal partitions, like those set by fdisk. fdisk /mbr will
    work only on the first drive, unless you use an un-doccumented switch.
    It's probably best to set up the drive as the master boot drive (80h)
    before running fdisk /mbr.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    VWWall, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    VWWall wrote:
    > Pablo wrote:
    >
    >> I had mandrake linux on a second hard drive, which I have just
    >> reformatted to FAT32. When I installed linux, LILO was installed in
    >> the MBR. Is it alright for me to use fdisk to remove the MBR, or will
    >> it mess something up?

    > If you're not using a BIOS extension like EZBios there is no problem.
    > fdisk/ mbr will rewrite the original MBR, thus removing LILO. It will
    > not affect normal partitions, like those set by fdisk. fdisk /mbr will
    > work only on the first drive, unless you use an un-doccumented switch.
    > It's probably best to set up the drive as the master boot drive (80h)
    > before running fdisk /mbr.
    >
    > Virg Wall

    Thanks, I'll go try it later tonight.

    And...what do you mean by "undocumented switch?"

    Pablo, Jul 8, 2004