  1. I've just noticed that I can't delete old windows98 screensavers and other
    no longer needed items in the system 32 folder now that I've upgraded to
    windows xp. Surely this can be corrected but how??

    melanie bennett, Jun 6, 2005

  2. melanie bennett

    Duane ;-\) Guest

    "melanie bennett" <> wrote in message
    news:lBSoe.1191$...
    > I've just noticed that I can't delete old windows98 screensavers and other
    > no longer needed items in the system 32 folder now that I've upgraded to
    > windows xp. Surely this can be corrected but how??

    Use NTFS which has security and don't log on to the system using an User
    account that has Admin privileges. Any user account that is using the
    Limited user privileges will not be able to delete anything out of the
    System32 directory nor will he or she beable to install anything using the
    account, unlike a Win 9'x O/S that gave the user root privileges and the
    user could do anything he or she wanted on the O/S. The only user accounts
    on XP using NTFS that have root privileges are ones using Administrator
    rights. And everyone is a User Admin when the file system is FAT or FAT32.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane ;-\), Jun 6, 2005

  3. melanie bennett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    melanie bennett wrote:

    > I've just noticed that I can't delete old windows98 screensavers and other
    > no longer needed items in the system 32 folder now that I've upgraded to
    > windows xp. Surely this can be corrected but how??

    This is a correction. You should be able to delete those files out of the
    System32 using an account using Admin rights. You will not be able to
    delete files out of the System32 using an user account with Limited rights.
    If the file system is not NTFS, you may want to Convert it as has more
    security and better fault tolerance than FAT or FAT32.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 6, 2005
  4. melanie bennett

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jun 6, 2005
  5. "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > melanie bennett wrote:
    >
    >> I've just noticed that I can't delete old windows98 screensavers and
    >> other
    >> no longer needed items in the system 32 folder now that I've upgraded to
    >> windows xp. Surely this can be corrected but how??

    > This is a correction. You should be able to delete those files out of the
    > System32 using an account using Admin rights. You will not be able to
    > delete files out of the System32 using an user account with Limited
    > rights.
    > If the file system is not NTFS, you may want to Convert it as has more
    > security and better fault tolerance than FAT or FAT32.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Thanks Duane - I will see to it right away!

    melanie bennett, Jun 7, 2005
  6. melanie bennett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    melanie bennett wrote:

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> melanie bennett wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've just noticed that I can't delete old windows98 screensavers and
    >>> other
    >>> no longer needed items in the system 32 folder now that I've upgraded to
    >>> windows xp. Surely this can be corrected but how??

    >> This is a correction. You should be able to delete those files out of the
    >> System32 using an account using Admin rights. You will not be able to
    >> delete files out of the System32 using an user account with Limited
    >> rights.
    >> If the file system is not NTFS, you may want to Convert it as has more
    >> security and better fault tolerance than FAT or FAT32.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Thanks Duane - I will see to it right away!

    No problem

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 7, 2005