    Tools/Maintenance doesn't seem to work. This problem has grown to the point
    where the groups I visit most frequently won't even load, prompting the
    message "An unknown error has occurred". Can anyone help me? Thanks!

    Brad Bryant, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Brad Bryant

    eric_seal Guest

    OE > tools > options > maintenance > store folder. Will tell you where your
    ..dbx files are...

    Hope that helps..

    Brad Bryant wrote:
    :: I am having difficulty finding and deleting OE newsgroup cache files
    :: with Windows XP.
    ::
    :: Using my old computer (Windows 98), I could search for .dbx files and
    :: manually delete them. This would allow all new message headers in a
    :: large multimedia newsgroup to simply download rather than having OE
    :: automatically load the stored headers and then replace the old ones
    :: with the new ones.
    ::
    :: In XP, I can't find any .dbx files. And the function under

    eric_seal, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Brad Bryant

    Brad Bryant Guest

    This just figures. It points to a location that doesn't even exist:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Bryants\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{8D32DF8B-D3B8-4783-A0C5-FE37E2FC8659}\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express

    There is no folder called "Local Settings" under "Bryants". How is this
    possible? The downloaded headers/messages are obviously being stored
    somewhere!

    Brad Bryant, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Brad Bryant

    °Mike° Guest

    Check that you have 'Show hidden files and folders'
    checked in Tools / Folder Options / View.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Brad Bryant

    trout Guest

    Just right-click the newsgroup folder on your Folder list in OE.
    Select Properties; Local File; Delete.

    trout, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Brad Bryant

    Brad Bryant Guest

    Oh, you da man! I loathe the steps Windows now takes to "protect us from
    ourselves". I unchecked the "do not show hidden files" option on my old
    computer right after I bought it, and I totally forgot to do the same for my
    new PC. Thanks a bunch!

    Brad Bryant, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Brad Bryant

    °Mike° Guest