Delete 'WINDOWS'? Yes or no...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Hi all.

    This has happened to me before - not just on this computer, but others as
    well.

    I sometimes take a look at the recycling bin icon, and it appears to have
    stuff in it. I open the recycle bin, but there are 0 objects in it.
    However, when I right-click the recycle bin, the 'Empty Recycle Bin' option
    is available. When I click on it, it will either ask me if I wish to empty
    all contents, and on other occasions it will ask me if I wish to delete the
    folder 'WINDOWS'.

    When it asks if I wish to delete all items, I go for it and erase them.

    When it asks if I wish to delete 'WINDOWS', I go for it (lmao) and I get the
    error that it is in use, as though it is actually trying to delete that
    folder.

    Yet again, I stress that there are 0 items in the recycle bin.

    There appear to be no unsusual processes running, and when checking with all
    scanning apps (Ad Aware, Spybot, and numerous virus scanners), no results
    are returned.

    This appears to have no harm, but just for the hell of it, anyone have any
    idea what's going on?

    Rusty

    NB: Don't forget that it's not just this computer; others do it too.
    Thanks.

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Rusty Shackleford

    philo Guest

    if you are running win9x you could boot to dos

    delete the "recycled" folder

    upon reboot , it will be recreated

    philo, Oct 26, 2003

  3. Rusty Shackleford

    °Mike° Guest

    It sounds like your recycle bin is corrupt. What version of
    Windows are you running?

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Rusty Shackleford

    ilmc Guest

    Rusty Shackleford typed:
    Or maybe it has "hidden" files in it?

    ilmc, Oct 26, 2003
  5. Rusty Shackleford

    Harrison Guest

    It's a known glitch. Nothing to worry about. Usually goes away with a
    restart.

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Rusty Shackleford

    phrogee Guest

    Maybe John Redcorn did something to it. You need to do something about that
    guy. <G>

    phrogee, Oct 26, 2003
  7. If you try to send the recycle bin to the Recycle Bin... Does it create
    a black hole that consumes itself?

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 26, 2003
  8. Rusty Shackleford

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Yep, so now you know what makes that "whoooosh" noise.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003
  9. And all this time I just thought it was the Dust-Bunny Generator.

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 26, 2003
  10. Rusty Shackleford wrote:

    [see subject]

    Yes. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 26, 2003
  11. This has happened with many computers from Win 95 to XP

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2003
  12. none ive been able to detect

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2003
  13. hmm, even so, its a little eerie how the glitch *just so happens* to be the
    windows folder, lol

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2003
  14. lol, if only. (actually this is my real name)

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2003
  15. Rusty Shackleford

    °Mike° Guest

    Install TweakUI and use the 'Repair icons' option.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Oct 27, 2003
  16. does nothing. done it before; still happens

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2003
  17. Rusty Shackleford

    Boomer Guest

    Do you use any Norton/Symantec products?

    Boomer, Oct 27, 2003
  18. i have before. the same thing has happened on comps with and without them.

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 28, 2003
  19. Rusty Shackleford

    Boomer Guest

    See if the information here, from Doug Knox about XP, helps.
    http://www.google.com/groups?q=recycle+bin+"wish+to+delete+windows"
    &hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
    8&scoring=d&selm=uq1nmc2%24CHA.2308%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl&rnum=2

    Or click: http://makeashorterlink.com/?J14B42B56

    And also read through the replies from Doug Knox and Kelly here:
    http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
    8&threadm=e1c801c27c8f%2407d40c20%2436ef2ecf%40tkmsftngxa12&rnum=3&prev
    =/groups%3Fas_q%3Drecycle%2520bin%26as_epq%3Dwish%2520to%2520delete%252
    0windows%26safe%3Dimages%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-
    8%26as_scoring%3Dd%26lr%3D%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den

    Or click: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q16B24B56

    Also try other searches at:
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
    http://www.google.com/microsoft.html

    Boomer, Oct 28, 2003
  20. Rusty Shackleford

    AK Guest

    Tell me something, how on earth can you guys read and make sense of what
    looks like a letter writing in some sort of cipher code. It's mind- boggling
    to me.
    ===

    AK, Oct 28, 2003