    H Lee Guest

    How do I delete old posts? When I select Edit, Select All and than Delete,
    the delete is gray and won't allow me to delete all the old post.

    H Lee, Aug 11, 2006

  2. H Lee

    olfart Guest

    View>Current View>Hide read messages

    olfart, Aug 11, 2006

  3. H Lee

    Mike Easter Guest

    Hiding the read messages is most likely what s/he wants to do, but that
    is a different function than deleting the messages in a newsgroup's
    folder view.

    I haven't been able to create an experimental 'demonstration' to myself
    of delete being grayed out to prevent its function so I don't know what
    the OP is about.

    Delete is to eliminate the message/s header [and body if downloaded]
    from that folder/file's database, whereas mark as read keeps the header
    in the db but changes its read vs unread flag.

    Mike Easter, Aug 11, 2006
  4. H Lee

    dfrog Guest

    Select range to delete by highlighting top one, then highlight (while
    holding down SHIFT key) bottom one of range,(this highlights the whole range
    of msgs to delete), go to EDIT and select DELETE

    HTH

    dfrog

    dfrog, Aug 11, 2006
  5. H Lee

    Mike Easter Guest

    I understand how to delete a range of news messages. I was trying to
    experimentally demonstrate that it was /possible/ to get a configuration
    which would have the delete function grayed out.

    That's what the OP was about. The grayed out condtion for delete.

    Mike Easter, Aug 11, 2006
  6. H Lee

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ben Myers, Aug 11, 2006
  7. H Lee

    H Lee Guest

    Hello Ben,
    Thanks for your support. My problem is solved.

    Try installing the "Q328389" update.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fabfd939-2e4d-4908-
    b21f-c5cff9d58934&displaylang=en

    Ben

    H Lee, Aug 11, 2006
  8. H Lee

    Rado Guest

    Rado, Aug 11, 2006
  9. H Lee

    Toolman Tim Guest

    select them, then press the Del key on your keyboard.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 11, 2006
  10. H Lee

    dfrog Guest

    Sorry Mike, I wasn't aiming my response at you, rather the OP, and aiming at
    "How do I delete old posts?" which is what I read as his/her question,
    although he/she did make a statement about delete being greyed out. I
    realise that I did tag mine onto yours. :-(
    dfrog

    dfrog, Aug 11, 2006
  11. H Lee

    richard Guest

    Note that what ever you do is only for your machine. You can not delete the
    messages from the server end and hope never to see them again. If you should
    unsubscribe from a group, then return a few days later, you will get all of
    those old deleted posts back again.

    richard, Aug 12, 2006
  12. H Lee

    H Lee Guest

    Thanks for all your help. My concern was the postings were taking up space
    on my computer. It is now my understanding that the posting are kept on the
    server and not my computer. Posting closed.

    H Lee, Aug 12, 2006
  13. H Lee

    Mike Easter Guest

    If you click this news link:

    .... you can read this frequently posted nnq tip:

    Newsgroups: news.newusers.questions
    Subject: [TIP] Don't panic! Your mailbox is not about to explode!
    Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:07:26 +0000 (UTC)

    Mike Easter, Aug 12, 2006
  14. H Lee

    Mike Easter Guest

    Oops. I built that the wrong way. It should be:

    Mike Easter, Aug 12, 2006
  15. H Lee

    Plato Guest

    One can only do that locally. You cant delete old post globally.

    Plato, Aug 14, 2006