    Richard Guest

    In trying to change a preference setting, I inadvertently created a new
    (invalid) Preference Name. How do I delete it?

    Richard, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Richard

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    Close Firefox. Backup the prefs.js file located in your profile folder.
    Open the original prefs.js in a text editor. Remove erroneous key,
    and save.

    :: BRIAN ::, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    My prefs.js file is empty except for a header description comment. I can't
    find any *.js file in the Firefox subdirectories with a recent modification
    date.

    Richard, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    After closing and opening Firefox several times, the invalid Preference
    Name entry has disappeared.

    But now I'm puzzling over where the preference values I've set are saved. I
    changed a (valid) preference value today in about:config, but I can't find
    any Firefox file with a recent modification date. Running on Win98se.

    Richard, Dec 2, 2004
  5. They should be saved in prefs.js, in your profile folder.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Richard

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 1 Dec 2004 23:51:35 GMT, in message
    Then you are looking at the wrong prefs.js file.

    My guess is that you are looking at
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\prefs.js".

    Do not look in your Firefox _installation_ directory (e.g.
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox") or its subdirectories.

    To locate your Firefox _profile_ directory, see
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    That's it -- thank you.

    Richard, Dec 2, 2004
  8. Richard

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 2 Dec 2004 15:33:10 GMT, in message
    You're welcome.

    Ralph Fox, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Richard

    megabyte24

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Actually, in my case... After reading this thread, null'd out the value of my invalid preference name (i.e., Made it = "") and exited Firefox (v3.5.7). Then, went looking for prefs.js, opened it only to find there was no erroneous preference key in it... Restarted Firefox and it wasn't in about:config either!

    Guess Firefox either deleted it because it was a null value, or it recognized it as an invalid preference name...

    megabyte24, Apr 7, 2010