    Or is it best to get both.
    What do employers look for?

    Does Mike Meyers still hang out here.

    Ben, Aug 16, 2004

  2. indeed. there are many jobs out there where they say "bachelor's
    degree required", and what that means is you could have a BS/A in
    diddlysquat, but just because you have a piece of paper, you get the
    job. probably has something to do with companies realizing that HS
    grads are morons (especially public school grads) and that one is
    actually forced to use his head in college. doesnt matter what you
    have a degree *in* as long as you *have* a degree.

    not to mention, you wont be banging sorority sisters at keggers at the
    sylvan learning center

    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 28, 2004

  3. A degree is recognized for what it is...a long-term effort to achieve
    a goal.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 28, 2004
  4. indeed. anybody can memorize a table of processor FSB speeds, but
    knowing exactly *why* and what ramifications this has... some things
    you only learn in college, like, for example, peecees suck and macs
    and amigas rule.

    if i were an employer who needed comp techs, i would most likely hire
    people off the street for $8/hr who know something about computers,
    give them training to bring them up to the level of A+, and simply not
    acknowledge the existance or credibility of comptia certs. allow me
    to elaborate:

    you create your own "tech+" certification system for your company (no
    flames from ham ops please) based on comptia's A+

    you hire people for $6/hr as computer technician trainees/apprentices
    with the understanding that when they complete your BS in-house tech
    training, they get a buck or so raise (or 25 cents, whatever you can
    get away with - haha, imagine getting $15/hr pc techs for $7!)

    give them the opportunity to take the tests at any time to get that
    raise and cert. this saves you money by not having to acknowledge or
    pay inflated prevailing tech wages to those who already have the A+
    and also saves them money by graciously giving them a tech job with a
    moderate wage and not having to pay for the high priced tests.

    the only thing you need to do is orally screen your applicants to make
    sure they're minimally competent and can actually *learn* (those of
    you who dont know how to screen applicants have no business in
    business)

    its quite ironic that the computer industry would create a
    certification so they can ensure their staff conform to some minimum
    standard only to have it blow up in their faces creating a class of
    technicians who demand more money because of a letter - not that they
    don't deserve the higher wage, but that depends solely on which side
    of the employee/employer equation you sit.

    oh and the other side effect to this is that your employees cannot
    expect competitors to recognize their fly-by-night certification from
    timbuktu inc., thus reducing your turnover and your price to earnings
    ratio. remember, comptia has neither authority nor regulatory power!

    i would have made a much better satan.

    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 29, 2004
  5. the best doctor and the best attorney in the world can certainly LEARN
    to write legal briefs, practice surgery AND configure a LAN from
    scratch with 4 servers and 150 clients (btw, surgery and law require
    WAY MORE skill/intellect than tinkering with transistors)

    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 7, 2004
  6. they compare poorly
    hahaha... keep dreaming. just remember, the world is run on three
    things: bullsh*t, oil, and ivy league intellect. remove any one and
    the whole thing will come tumbling down

    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 7, 2004
  7. I don't know if he's a surgeon, but a few years back a doctor in my
    area called the electronics repair shop where I worked every time he
    came back home from vacation. The reason...he needed his VCR's, TV's,
    converters, etc. reprogrammed. Instead of way more, maybe different
    skill and intellect?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 7, 2004
  8. Ben

    CLV3 Guest

    I think your way of saying it is better Tom. No skill requires more talent
    or "intellect" than another. Just a different type. I know people who are
    whizzes when it comes to cars but would not know how to do something as
    simple as install more RAM inside a computer.
    I am sure some medical professionals would be the same way.

    CLV3, Sep 7, 2004
  9. more like sloth, indifference, and/or ego (i'm a doctor, i'm too good
    to program my VCR! muhahaha!)

    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 8, 2004
  10. Not the case here.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 8, 2004
  11. Ben

    merlin8 Guest

    No. Cooking and Law are two different subjects. Unless you talking about
    cooking the law books.

    merlin8, Sep 15, 2004
  12. Ben

    merlin8 Guest

    must not been a smart doctor to not know that most vcrs have a menu button
    to allow you to get to time/date and schedule menus. Okay, I can
    understand if say he had used equiptment and no remote anymore and wanted
    someone else to handle it? but still, if thats the case wy not just get a
    uni remote or use the old
    ones as vhs copy machines only? who cares about the time and date anyways?
    its is just an invention of the suits to control you.

    merlin8, Sep 15, 2004
  13. He wasn't technically inclined.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 15, 2004
  14. Ben

    G W Guest

    depends on what job your looking for! if you are working in IT get the
    certs, if you want to be the suit in the IT dept get the degree with the
    cert.
    GW
    MCSE-Security 2000 & 2003 A+ Net+ Security+

    G W, Oct 30, 2004