    particular) over to F:, it would free up lots of C: space. But I haven't
    figured out how to do it without screwing up just about everything.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, May 8, 2007

  2. Jim Beaver

    meerkat Guest

    Empty Cookies, Temp, Temp Internet and any other folders
    you can think of.
    Stay off the Internet, and switch off System Restore, and
    see how much space you`ve got then.
    When you`ve defragged (In Safe Mode).
    Restart machine, restart System Restore, and set a new
    RP.

    meerkat, May 8, 2007

  3. Jim Beaver

    Evan Platt Guest

    What size hard drive do you have?

    How much space do you have free?

    You can try running a program like Crap Cleaner, but depends on how
    much space you need.
    Google AppMover. Although the program may not always work when moved
    to a new drive.

    Evan Platt, May 8, 2007
  4. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    C: 40.02 GB
    F: 203.92 GB
    C: 4.05 GB
    F: 180.69 GB

    Is this the same as CCleaner? I've run that.

    That's reassuring! ;-)

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, May 8, 2007
  5. Jim Beaver

    thanatoid Guest

    I have 7 and 16 partitions on my 2 computers. I do a lot of
    maintenance work in DOS and sometimes due to ridiculous 15-level
    subdirectory structures (Adobe is especially good at creating
    those) some DOS programs just refuse to work. In such cases I
    simply move the offending subdirectory (or its whole tree) to
    another partition, do what I need to do, and then move it back.
    NEVER had a problem.

    Older programs, before delights like the registry were unleashed
    upon us, and when there were programs still written which did
    NOTHING to any Windows directories or even the win.ini file, you
    could leave the program in the new location and it would run
    just fine.

    Due to the ridiculous bloat and hundreds of obscure dll, ocx,
    etc. dependencies this is no longer possible and I would never
    trust a program that claims to be able to do that. Easier to
    just delete and install somewhere else. Although I do believe
    that all programs (with some DOS exceptions) should be on the C
    drive along with the OS. But that's IT. EVERYTHING else goes on
    other partitions.

    Anyway, what I'm saying, move whatever you want which will give
    you the free space needed (like possibly the entire Adobe tree)
    and then move it back after defragging. Like I said, I have done
    it lots of times. As long as you don't touch or change anything
    in the windows (OS and C:\ root) directories, no problem.

    I have heard it is always a good idea to have at least 25% free
    space on your C:\ drive and although I can always defrag mine
    (on both machines) in less than 2 minutes, I just learned of
    another good reason for that rule from your problem.

    It MAY be worth mentioning that attempting to do this in what
    Microsoft brazenly insists is a "file manager", Windows
    Explorer, is an experience I would not want to attempt. Get a
    real file manager. I suggest you visit www.ghisler.com.

    thanatoid, May 9, 2007