Defrag Problems Win2k NTFS

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dennis, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    I have an 80 meg NTFS drive which is half filled with movies, 700meg
    files. I've been trying to defrag this drive but its only been making
    things worse. Windows 2000 defrag program shows much of the drive as
    purely red & green in the analysis display. It says green represents
    "System files" and it doesnt defrag these properly. But note this is
    my 3rd hard drive, the windows swap file etc aren't even this drive,
    there should be no 'system files'.

    So for comparison I run Norton Speeddisk and it takes 12 hours just to
    get to 10% done (I have 20% free space, 14gigs, on the drive; that is
    not the issue). Also it seems whenever I run Speeddisk again it starts
    from scratch and disregards the previous 12 hours of work that was
    done.

    Both programs now show this drive as 98% fragmented. Speed disk
    reports many of the movies have 30000+ fragments.

    Questions: Is this drive damaged? Or is this normal when dealing with
    huge files? What is the best defrag program in my situation, if any?

    Thanks in advance

    Dennis, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Dennis

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I have an 80 meg NTFS drive which is half filled with movies, 700meg
    I don't use W2K much, but in 98SE I usually had to run defrags in safe mode.
    Have you tried that? I believe disk fragmentation is supposed to be much
    less of an issue in NTFS than in FAT32. Something about the journaling
    method of tracking information on the disk rather than the file allocation
    table, but I can't remember for sure where I got that little nugget of
    (mis?)information.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Dennis

    °Mike° Guest

    Because you have been starting/stopping/starting/stopping
    is why you have this horrendous fragmentation. You will
    have to be patient and let the defrag process complete to
    the end.

    °Mike°, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Obviously. But I estimate Norton Speed Disk would take 120 hours to
    complete, which is 5 days... I'm not going to let my hard drive whirl
    non-stop for 5 days, it would probably burn out. Besides, I could
    MANUALLY defrag it faster then that. There is something wrong. I need
    a better program and/or an explaination as to why Win2k Defrag shows
    half the files as "System Files" when they are not.

    Dennis, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Dennis

    °Mike° Guest

    Ok, have it your way.

    °Mike°, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Dennis

    Gort Guest

    Inline---

    You might want to look into DisKeeper, from Executive Software.
    I have 320 GB of drivespace, and defrag all in less than 10 minutes.
    Your first time will be longer than that because DisKeeper uses a different
    "system", but after that it's extremely quick.
    I do not work for them, but I am a very pleased paying customer.

    Gort, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Actually, I tried the Diskkeeper 9.0 trail. I got very annoyed with it
    because it set off my firewall (Zone Alarm) 3-4 times with different
    modules asking for internet access and then even asking for 'server'
    status. I can maybe understand it 'calling home' to check the status
    of the 'trail' but when it started asking for server status that was
    the last straw, I decided it was being sleezy and I uninstalled it.

    I've heard good things about this program and I might try it again but
    my hatred of spyware requires an explaination as to why a defrag
    program would possibly need so much internet access... any ideas?

    Dennis, Oct 19, 2004
  8. Dennis

    Gort Guest

    As far as a firewall goes, it's not needed when I defrag. I normally don't
    defrag
    while online, but I do unplug my cable modem to be safe.
    Just be sure you re-enable before going online again.
    OR you could defrag in Safe Mode.

    Gort, Oct 20, 2004
  9. Dennis

    Gort Guest

    My apologies to all for forgetting to kill the AVG sig.

    Gort, Oct 20, 2004
  10. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    As far as Diskkeeper 9.0 is concerned I suggest perhaps a firewall
    -is- needed while defragging :) I ask again, why would a defrag
    program try to access the internet, and attempt it in several
    different ways? Evil!

    Can anyone recommend another shareware/free defragger?

    ps - not sure what that avg rant was about. AVG is great though, leave
    their tag on...

    Dennis, Oct 20, 2004
  11. Dennis

    Gort Guest

    A firewall is NOT needed if the modem is unplugged. Nothing goes in or out
    then.

    As to the "access" thing, is it set to automatically check for updates ?
    Mine does NOT "phone home".

    You must be pretty new in this group (TING). The AVG sig has generated tons
    of
    outrage posts. I prefer to keep the bandwidth free for more useful purposes
    than that,
    although IMHO it does serve as a reminder that it needs to be kept updated.

    Gort, Oct 21, 2004