    c:\program files to c:\w2k program files ?

    Cheers
    Rupert

    Rupert, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Rupert wrote:
    > I have just installed W2K in addition to my WinXP on my home machine for
    > some testing work. However I want to ensure that when i install applications
    > i don't write them over the top of my existing WinXP files.
    > Can I change in the registry the default program files location from say
    > c:\program files to c:\w2k program files ?

    wow dude... bad idea installing it like that, usually you would use at
    least a seperate partition.

    Right... now, even choosing to change the path in the registry wont
    really do it as some programs simply ignore that setting anyway, and
    write the files whereever the hell they like.

    Personally, I'd backup the whole machine to somewhere else(maybe a
    seperate Hdd?) wipe out the lot, make two partitions, and reinstall both
    OS's and deal with it from there.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    yeah i know, but I only need it for like a week and then i'll trash the w2k
    install.
    i found some registry settings, though i get the impression that as the OS
    installl dumps in common files etc I will put it into a tizzy if I try and
    make changes - anyhow it's time for a winxp reinstall soon so I'll probably
    do that at the end of the work

    Rupert, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Rupert

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <c139a3$22m$>,
    says...
    > Folks,
    > I have just installed W2K in addition to my WinXP on my home machine for
    > some testing work. However I want to ensure that when i install applications
    > i don't write them over the top of my existing WinXP files.
    >
    > Can I change in the registry the default program files location from say
    > c:\program files to c:\w2k program files ?

    You should create a separate partition for different OS installs or
    install another HDD.

    Doing like this is full of risk.

    Mainlander, Feb 20, 2004