Default NTFS permission: everyone full control??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jax, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Jax

    Jax Guest

    Im sitting 20-270 (XP) exam in a few days, and am going over practise
    questions.

    In my book, it says the default NTFS permission is everyone full control;
    I also had a practise question that confimed that answer.

    I for the life of me cant reproduce this.... I create a folder eg
    d:\temp look at NTFS permission and there is no everyone group listed. I
    have tried this as a limited or admin user. The closest match I guess
    would be the users group which is there, but with limited permissions by
    default.

    I look in local users & groups, there is no everyone group listed
    (although if I try to explicitly add this group as part of NTFS
    permissions, it can be found)

    My system is stand alone XP SP2 installed cleanly from CD. I have also
    tried with SP1 machine and again not everyone group is added to file or
    folder NTFS permissions.

    Can anyone help?

    Jax, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Jax

    Terry Guest

    From my experience this was true in Win2K, however what you found IS the
    setting for XP. Microsoft even have articles on the fact that it changed
    between the OSes. This was casuing us problems when using XP on an Active
    Directory network as we needed to have full permissions for users in the
    root of C:. We did this through Group Policy, again, an article (I think
    from Microsoft) helped us.

    Terry...

    Terry, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Jax

    Jax Guest

    Thnanks Terry, Ive googled and still found nothing to say default NTFS
    permissions are everyone - full control

    I dont know what Ill answer if it comes up in exam!

    Jax, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Jax

    Jax Guest

    "Assigning NTFS Permission in Windows XP Professional

    We will see what are the best practices of implementing NTFS permissions
    and also how to implement the NTFS in the right way.

    By default, when you format a volume with NTFS, the Full Control
    permission is assigned to the Everyone group. This presented a problem
    in earlier versions of Windows, including Microsoft Windows 2000. In
    Windows XP Professional, the Anonymous Logon is no longer included in
    the Everyone group."

    http://www.winxpsolution.com/AssigningNTFSXPPro.aspx

    So maybe its true - though I cant see it on my system, and dont have a
    spare HDD lying around to format to test...

    Jax, Dec 16, 2004