DeepCool Tiger Shark redux....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Well, I went ahead and bought one of these despite the dearth of reviews.

    $83 from Ascent, arrived the day after ordering, as usual. Fitted using
    Arctic Silver 5 instead of the little syringe of paste that came with it.

    I was running a Coolermaster 212 Hyper Plus (or similar) tower cooler which
    was a bit better at cooling the CPU but left the mobo components to get
    quite toasty despite decent case flow-through. I had the option of a
    [nearly] free Thermaltake Big Typhoon [BT] but went with the TS instead. The
    BT's heatpipes start at the CPU block and the swaging and lack of a proper
    cover-block means that they don't make optimal contact, not removing the
    heat very efficiently.

    The TS's heatpipes start and finish in the fin array and consequently pass
    through the CPU block fully and make excellent contact around their full
    circumference. There are only four of them but, as vapour can go both ways
    from the middle of the pipe in the CPU block, they work as if there were
    eight. One thing that I wasn't sure of going by the available literature was
    if the cooler could be mounted so that, in my tower case, the heatpipes
    would be oriented horizontally. Luckilly it can.*

    *It's my experience that, with a heatpipe cooler like the TS, they are
    markedly more efficient if the heatpipes are oriented horizontally rather
    than vertically. When used vertically basically only half of the heatpipe
    array is working as the internal wicking mechanism in the other half is
    having to fight gravity. Capillary action will work just fine as a return
    mechanism in a horizontal heatpipe but, if it's having to work directly
    against gravity it's somewhat lacking. *IME*. Ideally a cooler like this
    would work best in a flat desktop case.

    A good explanation of wicking in heatpipes:
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2466 The TS uses a
    sinstered metal type wick.

    Anyway, to finish up about my experience; The included fan was only 0.12A,
    running at 1,600rpm. I swapped it for a Silverstone 3A / 1,900rpm fan and
    the full load temps dropped 5ºC without any significant noise increase (in
    my case).

    My case has a 24cm fan on the side that originally blew air inwards.
    However, due to the way I've got it set up I've turned the fan so that it
    exhausts air from the case (along with a 12cm, 3A fan at the back and the
    12cm fan in the PSU and I'm considering cutting a hole for another 12cm
    exhaust on the top of the case).

    I have all of that air exhausting as I have up to five HDDs mounted in the
    front of the case (in removable docks) with perforated 'blank plates'
    between them that the air is sucked in through. Without so much airflow the
    drives can run hotter than the manufacturers specs, which I don't like as
    it's permanently recorded in NVRAM on the drive and affects warranty status.
    However it means that the fan on a 'to-down' cooler is, to a certain extent,
    fighting with the fan on the side of the case for air.

    Sorry for the digression. I have my CPU, a QX9650, clocked at it's standard
    3GHz but I have it running on a 400MHx FSB (what Intel would call 1,600)
    with a 7.5 multiplier instead of it's stock 333MHz FSB / 9x multiplier. I've
    done this as I'm running 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM and the CPU FSB:RAM ratio is
    running at 1:1. This gives much better results in CPU intensive tasks but
    does run the CPU up to 10º hotter than stock.

    With the DeepCool Tiger Shark installed withh the heatpipes in the
    horizontal plane my CPU runs at about 20 - 25º above ambient (10 - 15ºC
    above case temp) with all four cores at 100% load. As previously mentioned,
    the 212 Hyper Plus was 5º better but the northbridge, southbridge and VRMs
    got much too hot for my liking, so much so I had to use two radial fans to
    blow air over them. http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1318297359.jpg

    All in all I'm happy with the TS, especially for $83 and feel that I can
    recommend it unreservedly for computers that aren't running insane
    overclocks. If you're going to O/C so that your CPU is putting out above
    150W I'd suggest that you go for one of the ultra-efficient tower coolers on
    the market (or the $200+ Noctua HN-C14). The following page is a useful
    reference: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm (although some other
    sites don't always agree with Frosty's results).

    Anyway, I thought I owed the group a review of sorts for the help that was
    offered when I couldn't find any info on the cooler. I hope at least one of
    you read it. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2011

  2. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    [Snip] A experience review
    Done!

    Now off to learn about wicking.

    Gordon, Oct 11, 2011

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Cool. Yeah, wicking is an important part of the way heatpipes work that is
    often overlooked. Simply changing the orientation of a cooler so that the
    wick system isn't having to work against gravity so much can shave quite a
    few degrees off the temperature.

    For instance, most tower coolers actually work better if they're fitted
    'flat' in the case, with the exhaust air going upwards toward the PSU. As
    long as the airflow through the case is adequate the CPU will run much
    cooler, however you never see them fitted like that.

    When they're fitted with half of the tops of the heatpipes facing upwards
    and half facing downwards (airflow towards the back of the case) the
    heatpipes that're facing upwards, and have gravity assisting the wicking
    rather than opposing it, do about 75% of the work. That's fine with most of
    the top-of-the-line towers as they're engineered to handle it. However, with
    a more marginal cooler, or a top-down cooler where the pipes have more twist
    and turns, heatpipe orientation can make the difference between a good
    result and an inadequate one.

    Then there's the type of wick utilised. Some (sinstered metals) are more
    efficient than others (simple grooves). Therefore coolers whose heatpipes
    have the better wicking systems can be more forgiving.

    Frankly I'm surprised that it isn't emphasised more. It's probably because
    half of the 'reviewers' don't fully understand how heatpipes work. They just
    look at the pictures in the booklet and follow that. The picture of the
    Tiger Shark has it rotated 90º to how I've fitted it and I bet you dollars
    to dog turds that if I'd fitted it that way I'd be dissapointed with the
    performance. However I can't be arsed trying it just to prove again what
    I've already proved to myself a few times. <g>

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2011
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    D'oh! That should read 0.13A and a CoolerMaster 0.19A respectively. My
    Silverstone fan's only 0.12A.

    I have a Thermaltake 0.3A fan that I was going to try if needed but I'm
    happy with the way things are for now at least. I may have to put a more
    powerful fan on if I ever overclock this thing or if the current one's not
    good enough come high summer.

    (I also have a Sanyo Denki 0.45A fan that looks and sounds like it means
    business and a beast of a Delta fan, both out of servers. Delta's a 3.0A but
    sounds like my Nilfisk vacuum cleaner. All 12cm / 12V fans, the first five
    are 25mm thick, the Delta's a 37.5mm thick thing.)

    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2011
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    [snip]

    Oh, and after I fitted my new cooler I find out that Deepcool have made
    *two* other coolers in the 'Shark' series and the Tiger is the baby of the
    bunch.

    There's the "Fiend Shark" (Gotta love that Chinglish!):
    http://www.frostytech.com/permalink.cfm?NewsID=88603 Six heatpipes instead
    of the four in the TS and 14cm fan instead of the 12cm fan of the TS.

    Then, just to be really OTT there's a 1.8KG all-copper version, the Fiend
    Shark XT:
    http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...l-present-18kg-cpu-cooler-fiend-shark-xt.html

    However these are both new release and I've not seen them in NZ. Also,
    looking at the design (and comparing the all-important middle two heatpipes
    and their fin arrays which take most of the heat) I honestly don't think
    that either of these two would be massively better than the vanilla TS. (TS
    pic for comparison of the middle pipes fin arrays:
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=394180 )Especially
    a TS with a fan upgrade. Yeah, the FS and FS XT would likely handle more
    heat transfer, largely due to the bigger fin area, but I think not that
    much.

    G'night.

    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2011