    I suspect the true situation was that they lost your order, and when
    you called they finished it manually. I suspected the same thing
    when I called about a lost order last year.

    Stan Brown, Jun 25, 2004

  2. Yes but even a business with a high customer satisfaction rating (like
    Deep Discount) always has detractors with these horror stories about bad
    service. It's the nature of an organization ran by humans. I haven't
    had any bad experiences, apart from a Carpenter movie that took an
    exhorbitantly long time in getting to my house after being mailed.

    It's been my experience with all the customer-service-related jobs I've
    had (pretty much all my past jobs have had some element of customer
    service), that *most* of the time when a customer thinks they're being
    lied to they either misunderstood they just happened to speak with a
    mis-informed or confused employee.

    I'm not trying to convince you to go with Deep Discount, just provide
    the second side of the story.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 26, 2004

  3. All I can say is that for you folks complaining about it taking an extra
    5-7 days to get your precious, life preserving DVDs, be thankful you don't
    have to deal with Canada Customs.

    swac
    Therein lies a black hole where the laws of space and time have no
    meaning...

    Stephen Cooke, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Tony

    JAM Guest

    I'm not sure where you get your perception that DDDVD is "occasionally" the
    lowest priced. I always search at several retailers before I purchase a
    DVD. DeepDiscount is the lowest AT LEAST 80% of the time. All anyone has
    to do to verify what I'm writing is to look.

    JAM, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Tony

    Stan Brown Guest

    D'oh! That should be "mysteriously stopped working". I e-mailed the
    contact address, but got no reply.

    Stan Brown, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Tony

    JAM Guest

    There is no evidence that his order was lost. His order was put in the
    queue as are all the orders from Deep Discount customers. Deep Discount has
    been having a sale which caused a surge in orders for the same size crew to
    process. This means it is going to take a little longer. You must realize
    that in order to keep prices low for customers, a business needs to control
    its expenses - particularly payroll expenses. When I placed my orders this
    past week, Deep Discount took about a day or two longer than usual to
    process them. That is not something I would go crazy over. Some of the
    people, who have complained these past few days, are putting themselves
    through a lot of grief by being impatient. It makes no sense to get into an
    uproar about a couple of days' worth of processing and a few days' worth of
    extra shipping time. By the time you get all worked up and destroy your
    health in the process, your DVDs will have arrived. Then you'll see you got
    angry and impatient for nothing. Anybody who has ever run a business knows
    that with prices as cheap as Deep Discount's, they will have to cut corners
    somewhere in order to have a profit. If it means a smaller crew and a few
    extra days waiting, so what. The winner is the customer, who gets the DVDs
    at what is often the lowest cost on the web. I would stop complaining and
    just wait. Your order will come soon. Mine always do. And I live much
    further away from Deep Discount than any of you guys. I live on an island
    in the middle of the Pacific. My orders take from three to four weeks to
    get here. I'll bet none of you have to wait that long do you?

    JAM, Jun 27, 2004
  7. Oh. Gawd. I've had packages with used DVDs valued at USD$15 stopped by
    Canada Customs, delayed for two weeks, and arriving with CAD$8 owing
    (includes a $5 assessment charge). It's just not worth having anything
    sent here from the US.

    Maureen Goldman, Jun 27, 2004
  8. Tony

    G. Bates Guest

    I usually use Amazon, when there isn't much difference in price
    between them and DDD, but for something like the upcoming Wiseguy DVD
    set, there was a $10 price difference. Other place were about $5 more
    when postage was added in, so in cases like that, I don't need them in
    that much of a hurry.

    GB

    G. Bates, Jun 28, 2004
  9. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I don't disagree with much of what you said. My only concern comes when a
    company makes a particular promise on their web site and then doesn't
    fulfill it. With DDDVD, this apparently happens on a frequent basis.

    I've ordered from many online stores that stated it would take up to 5-7
    days to ship an order. I've also ordered from many that promise shipping in
    1 business day. As long as a business fulfills their policy or offers an
    appropriate offset, then there is no issue.

    My particular point is that frequently I'm comparing multiple vendors when
    placing an order. Vendor A has an item for $5 while Vendor B has the same
    item for $6. If they both say they'll ship the item tomorrow, I'll most
    likely order from Vendor A. If instead Vendor A says it might take 3-4 days
    to ship the item, I might be willing to pay the extra $1 to buy from Vendor
    B to get the item more quickly. Certainly not in every case, but there are
    times when I place an order online where time is of the essence.
    Regardless, I expect that a company will adhere to their stated shipping
    policies. I study those very closely in choosing who I will buy from.

    The point of my original post--and what many people have concurred
    with--Deep Discount DVD frequently does not adhere to the shipping policy
    stated on their website. To be honest with their customers, they should
    change it. It's great for them if they've gotten behind because they have
    so much business. But to be fair to their customers, they should take a few
    minutes away from their work and change the shipping policies stated on
    their web site. As it stands now they're pledging a level of service to
    their customers which they are not consistently delivering. It's not about
    impatience, it's about a company doing or not doing what they have said they
    would.

    Tony

    Tony, Jun 29, 2004
  10. Tony

    JAM Guest

    The point is well taken. I agree with you.

    JAM

    JAM, Jun 29, 2004
  11. Tony

    Smaug69 Guest

    They probably just forgot to ship out your order on time and were just
    making up some bullshit excuse. In this respect, they are no different
    than any other retailer I have ever dealt with.
    It's free shipping so what do you expect? I haven't had any problems
    with DDD in the nearly 4 years I have ordered from them. The longest
    an order took to get to me was 8 days.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Jun 29, 2004
  12. Tony

    Stan Jensen Guest

    Boy, with all this bitching about DDDVD, I don't know about the order I
    placed.

    Back last Tuesday (the 22nd), I ordered the UFO series set because they had
    a great price. It was listed in stock, and I got an email on Friday saying
    it shipped.

    I picked the free shipping, because I didn't care how long it took to get
    here.

    Shipping Method: 5 - 10 BUSINESS DAY DELIVERY
    Estimated Arrival date: 7/04/04 - 7/09/04

    Then with all the bitching on here about slow delivery, now I'm thinking
    that I won't get it for a while, even though they say it shipped.

    Well, it arrived today. only took from Friday. I think that's pretty good
    service. It might be rare to some of you, but as a first time customer, I
    was well taken care of.

    Stan Jensen, Jun 29, 2004
  13. Tony

    Justin Guest

    Stan Jensen wrote on [Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:27:30 GMT]:
    The bitching is this. They are complaining that since the site says next
    day shipping, your Tuesday order being shipped on friday is "not on" and
    bad, and evil.
    Well, the delivery is slow compared to some, but most of the complaints
    were about slow to leave the door. Not slow to get from the door to your
    door.
    Yeah, I usually get items 2-3 days after shipping.

    Justin, Jun 30, 2004
  14. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Another followup that may serve as a warning for those ordering from Deep
    Discount DVD in the future. Despite the fact that both the online system
    and an email I received indicated that Deep Discount DVD shipped my order on
    6/24, they in fact did not ship it that day.

    When I called them today--since I still have not received my items--they
    told me that my order actually went out on 6/30. (This was for an in-stock
    item that was ordered on 6/21 and should have shipped out on 6/22 based on
    the information on their web site.) They could not explain why the
    information in their online system and the email I received both said the
    item shipped out 6 days before it actually did. (I have a theory. That's
    the day that I first called them to complain. I now wonder if they changed
    the order status to shipped at that point.)

    If they handled the order in the manner specified on their site my 6/21
    order would have shipped on 6/22. Since I ordered expedited delivery, I
    would have had it between 6/25 and 6/28 at the latest. As it stands,
    apparently they didn't ship until 6/30 and who knows if and when I'll
    actually receive it. They have no tracking number, despite the fact (as
    stated above) that I paid for them to send it via expedited shipping.

    When I talked to them today about why the order was delayed, why the invoice
    information on the web site was incorrect, and most importantly why since
    6/24 have their been 3 credits and 2 charges to my credit card from them
    (netting out to $0--they processed another charge to my account for some
    reason, they refunded half of it, then refunded another amount, then charged
    another amount, then refunded an amount to zero things out), the only answer
    they could give me was "We're very busy."

    I'm just posting this as a cautionary tale of a single experience with this
    company. Obviously, YMMV. As for me, I'm not ordering from this company
    ever again. At this point I just want to get this order or get my money
    back so that I can get these items from another source. Of all of the
    above, the activity on my credit card account has me most concerned.

    Tony

    Tony, Jul 2, 2004
  15. Tony

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << Another followup that may serve as a warning for those ordering from Deep
    Discount DVD in the future. >><BR><BR>

    Okay, you know, I think every gets it by now.

    If you really don't care whether your order takes a week or ten days to get to
    you -- as I don't -- feel free to use DDDvD. You won't have a problem. (Feel
    free to make a pre-order more than a month in advance, and you'll probably get
    the order before the street date.)

    If you order expedited service -- and I'm not sure I would from DDDvD -- then
    you're probably going to be disappointed. Anybody expecting such service --
    especially during a huge sale -- is just asking for complications and you
    shouldn't be surprised by now when it happens.

    Doesn't this about sums things up once and for all?

    SoHillsGuy, Jul 2, 2004
  16. Tony

    Stan Brown Guest

    That seems to be par for the course.

    Their apologists claim that their prices are lowest. That's quite
    often false, but even if it were true I'd still rather pay a few
    cents more and do business with a retailer that doesn't have lying
    as its standard policy.

    Stan Brown, Jul 3, 2004
  17. Tony

    Stan Brown Guest

    Only if you have stock in Deep Discount DVD.

    You manage to fuzz over the significant issues:

    (1) Order expedited shipping AND PAY FOR IT, and you still won't get
    it.

    (2) The order status says items have shipped when they haven't.

    (3) E-mail responses (if you even get one) tell the same lie.

    The point is that the company makes promises to suck you in, and
    then doesn't deliver on them.

    If you choose "slow boat to China" shipping because you can live
    with it, that's fine. When you choose a faster method and pay for
    it, but your order still goes on the slow boat, that's not okay.

    When your order doesn't ship at all till you nag them about it
    repeatedly, that's not okay.

    When they LIE about whether your order has shipped, that's not okay.

    Stan Brown, Jul 3, 2004
  18. Tony

    Invid Fan Guest

    *shrug* good for you. When they have the lowest price, I order from
    them. When they don't, I don't. I haven't found a company that doesn't
    lie, or at least have creative ways of doing business. The same goes
    for newsgroup posters, myself included.

    Invid Fan, Jul 3, 2004
  19. Tony

    Dennis M Guest

    I'll order from them even if they *don't* have the rock-bottom price. Some
    people are so anal-retentive about saving a quarter on every single DVD
    they buy they're willing to spread their credit card info around to 10
    different companies.

    Dennis M, Jul 3, 2004
  20. Tony

    SRT Guest

    Probably not everyone gets it yet - there's some pretty, well how should I
    put this, I guess intellectually challenged people in the world. You'll
    never be able to silence these complainers. Its just human nature, some
    people have to moan and groan/complain about something, regardless of how
    trivial the matter. Nice try anyway!

    srt

    SRT, Jul 3, 2004