Deep Discount DVD...what kind of flim-flam business are they??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Michael & Amy Harris, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Well, after reading here for a while, I thought that I might as well pile
    on. Here goes........
    Around 12/2 or 12/3 I ordered 6 box sets from them(James Bond Collection
    vols.1,2,3, Indiana Jones, Little House on Prairie seasons 1 & 2). I knew
    that the promotion would most likely be popular and would cause probable
    delays, so Christmas delivery wasn't a necessity.
    You would think that since this is their only business, they would prepare
    for their largely advertised promotion(USA Today, etc), and adjust inventory
    and shipping department accordingly. If Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart
    and the others can prepare and keep the popular items in stock, or at least
    in stock within 2 or 3 days, why couldn't a DVD seller who specializes in
    mail-order?

    Anyway, Bond 2 & 3 shipped around the 12th, delivered in 3 or 4 days during
    the peak holiday shipping period...great. I began to realize that the
    website "order status" screen is useless. I called to check the status with
    a representative and was told that Bond vol. 1, Indiana Jones, and Little
    House season 2 shipped on 17th, but Little House season 1 would be after
    Christmas...no problem. On the 23rd, I got an automated e-mail from the
    shipping center telling me that the 3 boxes were shipped that day(23rd).
    Why did the rep tell me they were shipped a week earlier?

    Anyway, they still haven't arrived and we all know that even during the
    holiday season, shipping from Indiana to Tennessee doesn't take 2 weeks.
    The first shipment was boxed with NO padding, and at least one of the dvds
    in one of the 2 Bond boxes sounds loose or broken(I haven't opened them
    yet). I'd also think that they would ship $150 worth of dvds in a trackable
    manner(UPS).

    Prices are good, and the representatives are very courteous, but they seem
    to have a pretty bad reputation. I know someone is going to say this is all
    due to the holidays, and their great promotion, but I would counter that
    Amazon, Best Buy and others ship much more that DDDVD, and they seem to keep
    customers generally happy. Also, how does a DVD seller not keep an adequate
    inventory of the huge sellers. I'll admit that Little House is a good
    candidate to have a low stock, but Indiana Jones??? James Bond Collection???
    Come on!

    Anyway, they said give it until the middle of next week, and they cound
    reship. I haven't decided whether I'll keep'em or refuse them. 40 days to
    get dvd's is ridiculous.

    Just my .02 worth.

    Michael H.

    Michael & Amy Harris, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Michael & Amy Harris

    Jay G Guest

    Deep Discount DVD has a reputation of their product
    almost always getting there.......eventually. Timeliness
    has never been their strong point. The saying is "if you
    want it cheap, get it from DDD. If you want it fast,
    go somewhere else."

    My final item from my promotional order came today.
    It wasn't anything I needed for x-mas, I bought all
    my gifts from stores so they could be easily returnable.
    Was it shipped as fast as I would've liked? No. Was
    the price savings worth the wait? For me it was.

    To me, the only really distressing part from all the
    complaints seems to be the conflicting information
    people get when they call for order info. Almost
    all the people who called got ship dates that were
    not actual. I don't know it this is a case of outright
    lying or something wrong with their database, but
    it is a problem they need to look into.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Michael & Amy Harris

    Film Buff Guest

    Deep Discount and DVD Planet are owned by the same company
    Both of their offices and Personnel are in the same building.
    Sometimes they will get confused and answer the phone with the other company's name.
    On my last order I tried to explain to them that their web page states for 3 or more DVD's they send PRIORITY
    MAIL or you can specify 2nd shipping with AIRBORNE EXPRESS

    I was told by the Supervisor on Duty - Jason (the ASSHOLE) - that it does not matter what their webpage states the WAREHOUSE
    decides on the shipping method and they are going to always ship UPS GROUND so they can track the DVD's.
    They have lost too many DVD's in the mail and thru AIRBORNE and it is not going to happen anymore.
    Their webpage is wrong and if I do not like this policy then don't place anymore orders with them or DeepDiscount

    I just wish That I could talk to the company president but he probably doesn't give a damn either.

    10 days to get from Ill. to Tex. is ridiculous plus the fact that part of the blame falls on UPS as they do not work
    on a Saturday and if you track your shipment you will find it goes all over the country before it reaches your state.

    The last time I tracked a shipment from them it left Illinois - went to Cleveland, Ohio - then Kentucky - then Memphis
    then Atlanta - then to Dallas - and finally to Corpus.

    I am willing to pay the extra postage for 2nd day so that it getsd here direct instead of a round about way but
    these 2 companies seem to always change the shipping instructions to UPS GROUND!!!

    I have contacted the BBB where they are located - sent them a copy of their web page stating 2nd Day shipment and
    sent them a copy of my last shipping receipt on UPS GROUND and invoice where I was charged for 2nd Day Shipping
    and will see what they do.

    At least the Post Office delivers mail on Saturday, but UPS is a Mon-Fri outfit

    Film Buff, Jan 4, 2004
  4. I have been unable to find an online seller that knows how to pack
    and/or ship a box set without it becoming damaged in one way or another.
    I pretty much just buy off the shelf anymore... DDD was the first one I
    gave up on. Several others are on that list now.

    Otherwise still like DDD... mostly. Loose DVDs still happen sometimes.
    They are always returned for exchange or refund.

    Frank Malczewski, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Michael & Amy Harris

    Skid Guest

    Amazon's are pretty well hermetically sealed, if you ask me. They are bound
    to a corrugated cardboard stiffener with thick plastic shrink-wrap and then
    placed in an oversized box with air-pillows.

    DDD simply sticks them in the next-closest-sized standard cardboard wrapper
    handy and throws them on the slow boat to China, where they will be stomped
    and chewed by hungry striking longshoremen in every port.

    Skid, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Michael & Amy Harris

    Stan Brown Guest

    If you want a web site that works, go somewhere else.

    If you want truthful order status, go somewhere else.

    If you want useful answers to e-mail, go somewhere else.

    If you want it cheap, go to dvdpricesearch.com and you will quite
    often do better than DDDVD.

    Stan Brown, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Michael & Amy Harris

    Stan Brown Guest

    They do that with books too. Seemed like overkill to me, but then I
    realized those pillows actually use way less material than crushed
    paper or (heaven help us) plastic peanuts.

    One company I used to do business with packed in _cornstarch_
    peanuts. A drop or two of water and they collapsed, and could be
    tossed in the trash or flushed down the garbage disposal -- much
    more environmentally friendly, I believe.

    Stan Brown, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Yeah, isn't Amazon great in that respect!! I've gotten quite a few
    dvds and books from Amazon and each time the packaging is great and
    delivery time is wonderful. I'd recommend Amazon to anyone.

    PL

    Paul Lefebvre
    [email protected]*removethis*wwdc.com
    Visit my website!
    http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

    Paul Lefebvre, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Michael & Amy Harris

    Jay G Guest

    They don't taste too bad either.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jan 4, 2004
  10. Michael & Amy Harris

    Invid Fan Guest

    And you quite often won't. I use dvdpricesearch.com, and for most of
    the titles I want DDDVD has the best price once you add in shipping.
    Never had a problem with them, although I've had to make my first
    return (a three disk set was missing disk 2). If I don't hear back from
    them within 3 months I'll change my opinion of the company :)

    Invid Fan, Jan 4, 2004
  11. Michael & Amy Harris

    JWB Guest

    Me too. I don't shop around, and I don't bother with price searches. I order
    almost everything from Amazon, and have never once been disappointed.

    JWB, Jan 4, 2004
  12. [packing materials for shipping]

    A friend of mine used to ship items packed in *real* peanuts, which are not
    only environmentally friendly but also tasty.

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Jan 4, 2004
  13. DDD is usually the cheapest option, nine times out of ten. Are you
    looking at "best price" or "best deal," because "best deal" gives you
    the overall price, which includes shipping (no-frills shipping on DDD is
    free).

    They have a high customer satisfaction rating, just minority of
    malcontents who've had bad experiences.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 4, 2004
  14. Michael & Amy Harris

    Jay G Guest

    Wouldn't that attract bugs, or possibly elephants? Also, were
    the peanuts shelled or unshelled?

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jan 4, 2004
  15. Michael & Amy Harris

    Wild Coyote Guest

    I agree GI. I have had my problems, but it has always gotten
    straightened out. You just cannot get in a hurry.

    Wild Coyote, Jan 5, 2004
  16. Michael & Amy Harris

    Heinrich Guest

    Well, I use them *A LOT* and have never had a problem. This 20% off
    sale is the first time that they've been slower than anybody else for
    me. All 15 out of 16 sets in the 3 sale orders arrived in a timely
    manner...one is still outstanding, but I wasn't in any hurry for that
    one anyway. Just bought it because of the sale. I'm in southern
    Minnesota.

    Heinrich

    Heinrich, Jan 5, 2004
  17. Seems to be some consensus regarding great price/questionable delivery
    times. This still begs the question: "Where is the delay?" Is the slow
    shipping due to inadequate shipping department, or due to no access to
    inventory?

    Seems as if either of these problems would be easy to fix. Customer service
    is generally a difficult problem to fix, but Deep Discount has great
    customer service, and could greatly use this to their advantage.

    Still can't figure out why it takes them 3 weeks to get in a huge seller
    like "Indiana Jones" when every major chain has loads of them....obscure
    titles, I'd fully understand.

    Michael Harris

    Michael & Amy Harris, Jan 5, 2004
  18. Michael & Amy Harris

    Justin Guest

    Michael & Amy Harris wrote on [Mon, 05 Jan 2004 05:21:31 GMT]:
    They ship media mail for one, which can take forever

    This is a restocking issue?

    Justin, Jan 5, 2004
  19. Still in their shells. I never heard of any problems with bugs, but these
    were mostly packages shipped over fairly short distances (to/from his
    family in a nearby state).

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Jan 5, 2004
  20. Michael & Amy Harris

    Wild Coyote Guest

    Heinrich, I have 1600+ DVDs and I would say that 85% of them were
    bought at DDD. When you buy mail order you are bound to have
    problems. So far I have been fortunate to have all those problems
    fixed, with every site I use. I am very careful who I buy from. They
    have to have good ratings on DVD Price Search or I won't buy from
    them. I also buy from Amazon and I have had problems, but like DDD
    they have been fixed.

    Wild Coyote, Jan 5, 2004