    they both operate at different layers of the OSI model. can anyone help
    explain what determines why a network administrator should opt for a
    routed or bridged LAN or even both, if possible?

    david nnaemeka, Aug 22, 2012

  2. Not trying to be Albert Einstein here :)

    My Wireless is 'Bridged' sot that any client requesting
    a DHCP Address gets one offered by the 'Router' which
    is essentially a NAT machine sitting behind a Cisco cable
    modem.

    Internallu everything is on 10.0.68.* bridged wireless aswell,
    externally I'm on whatever the ISP tells me.

    If you have like to floors i.e. 'Office' and say 'Webdesign'
    a bridge would mean that anyone could talk to anyone
    on an instant (they're on the same subnet), whereas if you route
    the traffic you can control routing :)
    [Between subnets and possibly outgoing]

    -rasp

    Ralph Spitzner, Aug 22, 2012