    Come to the conclusion that the standard office faire from CPC and all,
    has no place in a home. Any hints on better designs, or do I have to
    resort to hot melt gluing the module in first?

    Adrian C, Jun 29, 2011

  2. Adrian C

    fred Guest

    I've always used Euromod faceplates and modules, modules fit from the
    front[1] so no popping off the back, 2 per single plate, 4 per double.

    My local supplier has just gone bust so don't know where is best but CPC
    do them too although the range looks lighter than I'm used to (branded
    Molex but Euromod is buried deep in the further description. If they
    don't make a purpose made module then I've drilled a blank for
    connectors then used that, works well. RS do them too.

    [1] Can be pushed through from the back at an angle to get clearance
    then clipped in place at front so each module can be wired separately
    then placed if that is what you want.

    fred, Jun 29, 2011

  3. Adrian C

    Rick Hughes Guest

    I used modular MK ones throughout my build ... quality is very good.
    The modular system allowed me to mix RJ45 and F-type
    For latter I used blanking plates and drilled hole for F-Type bulkhead
    fittings

    Rick Hughes, Jun 29, 2011
  4. Ideally, you'd want to match the other sockets etc in that room.
    I'm using this range these days and find them pretty good.

    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KNRJ2BBW.html

    Dave Plowman (News), Jun 29, 2011
  5. Adrian C

    John Rumm Guest

    I usually use euromod style ones that fit from the front - so if they do
    dislodge they tend to pull out rather than drop in IYSWIM.

    These were solwise ones I think:

    http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Structured_wiring_system#Sockets

    Seem to have a couple of years so far without any problems.
    I used some triax euromod from CPC as well - they seemed good as well.

    --
    Cheers,

    John.

    John Rumm, Jun 29, 2011
  6. Ive got some fancy brass ones somewhere..bags to choose from.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jun 29, 2011
  7. Adrian C

    Ron Lowe Guest

    The best I've uses are made by Systimax, but they don't seem to be
    generally available to the public. They are used by many of the
    high-end ^H^H^H cost pro installers in big corporate installs.

    The best source for them is, er, 'leftovers' during an office fit-out.

    If you can't stumble upon any this way yourself, then e-bay often has
    such 'leftovers' being flogged by the installer employees themselves.

    Ron Lowe, Jun 29, 2011
  8. They're nice, but I've got better things to spend 9 quid on, like beer.
    I got 5 dual Cat6 faceplates from kenable.co.uk for 14 quid delivered
    and they are fine.

    Mike Tomlinson, Jun 29, 2011
  9. Brand-Rex stuff is top-notch IMO.

    Chris Bartram, Jun 29, 2011
  10. Why's that?

    Frank Erskine, Jun 30, 2011
  11. Adrian C

    Mike Scott Guest

    I generally use screwfix's offerings. Never had any bother with them.
    Don't know if they do fancy brass though.

    Mike Scott, Jun 30, 2011
  12. Metal plate or plastic? And do you apply the same standards to other
    fittings like sockets?

    Dave Plowman (News), Jun 30, 2011
  13. Taste? Same as having all the sockets and switches matching in that room?

    Dave Plowman (News), Jun 30, 2011
  14. Adrian C

    Adrian C Guest

    Hmmm....

    (Thanks all)

    The issue I've got is pictured here. The module closest to ya doesn't
    clip securely, it merely wobbles and falls off.

    http://s912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/?action=view&current=IMG_3830.jpg

    So in one case I had to resort to faceplace vandalism like so ...

    http://s912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/?action=view&current=IMG_3831.jpg

    .. to release a stuck plug's clip, as access to release the screws and
    pull it out was restricted then by furniture.

    Popping keystone modules has happened to me a few times, worse when in
    office moves where me is ungainly employed to rapidly move many PC
    workstations; and I'm scrabbling in floor boxes, sometimes in the dark,
    trying not to get electrocuted at the same time due to really mad wiring
    by some installers - and also users.

    Came across one user (in Accounts) that thought it OK to use a 13A plug
    without a fitted top cover(!) in his floor box. I now carry a torch with
    me ....

    Adrian C, Jun 30, 2011
  15. For that price, plastic, and I omitted to mention that included surface
    mounting boxes. I've fitted all five and they all work. The keystones
    go in the front, so it's not possible to push them in as happened to the
    OP.

    I should mention here that I've been installing network kit for years
    and have used a wide variety of quality of kit. These faceplates are
    not the very best quality, but they are perfectly acceptable.
    Er, no. That's mains. MK all the way.

    If you're anal enough to want to spunk 9 quid each on pretty RJ45
    outlets to match your existing fittings, hey, it's your money. I don't
    care.

    Mike Tomlinson, Jun 30, 2011
  16. So you like surface mount too? ;-)
    If you're installing things professionally, doesn't the architect or
    designer specify what makes to use?
    Mains stuff has to comply with a BS - and is likely to be satisfactory
    regardless of make. How good it looks is a different matter. And, of
    course, down to individual taste.
    My view is that sockets etc are going to be there for a very long time, so
    I'd rather have ones that look as good as possible too. But then I'm not
    doing it for maximum profit.

    Dave Plowman (News), Jun 30, 2011
  17. Nah, this is in my home. Sunk 'em. The boxes I've kept in case they
    come in useful.

    http://jasper.org.uk/plate1.jpg
    http://jasper.org.uk/plate2.jpg
    Almost all retrofit jobs in existing premises. Where the network wiring
    is done on new build the electrical contractor gets the job (or
    subcontracts it.)
    Mains sockets, yes.

    After the last twenty years we still have the same 13A mains sockets.

    But in that same time we've gone from coax to Cat 3 to Cat 5 to Cat 5e
    to Cat 6. You've just spent a lot of money on a network infrastructure
    that isn't going to be able to handle 10GigE when that becomes
    mainstream (RSN), at which point your pretty faceplates will be so much
    scrap.
    Fitting faceplates in my home is profitable?

    I fitted five for 14 quid. You spent 45 quid on much the same thing.
    That's a difference of thirty-one quid to spend on the finer things in
    life, such as beer.

    Each to his own. :)

    Mike Tomlinson, Jun 30, 2011
  18. Adrian C

    internetconnectionsharing

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    internet connection sharing

    Any Tutorials about Networking Find there: internetconnection .net

    internetconnectionsharing, Jul 4, 2011