    Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades?

    ]v[etaphoid, Dec 8, 2004

  2. ]v[etaphoid

    Fitz Guest

    Biostar M7NCG 400

    NForce 2 w/GeForce 4 MMX integrated graphics (up to 128MB shared memory)

    AGP 8x slot

    5.1 sound and onboard LAN

    very stable and reliable

    Fitz

    Fitz, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Jetway make good ones

    David Hemingsley, Dec 8, 2004
  4. ]v[etaphoid

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    I'm building a PC for a mate who doesn't play many games at the moment,
    but
    I've used a very good number of Abit NF7-M boards over the year, they've
    been great performers, very reliable, and pretty decent at overclocking, as
    far as IGP boards go. They'll definitely play WarCraft III with all
    settings on high with the integrated video, which is pretty decent.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Dec 8, 2004
  5. ]v[etaphoid

    Zotin Khuma Guest

    I've so often recommended the Biostar M7NCG-400 for just such a
    purpose that I'm beginning to sound like a salesman for Biostar. I've used
    many of these boards and haven't had any problem or regrets. Kony
    reported some problem a few days ago in alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
    with certain memory settings but I haven't had any myself.

    nForce2 IGP, TV-out, decent sound, LAN, 8x AGP slot, etc. It's
    significantly cheaper than the similar Asus A7N8X-VM but has better
    features. No SATA, Firewire or RAID, but then you don't seem to be
    looking for a high-end board.

    Zotin Khuma, Dec 8, 2004
  6. ]v[etaphoid

    Win Guest

    Biostar????

    Win, Dec 8, 2004
  7. ]v[etaphoid

    Win Guest

    Jetway???

    Win, Dec 8, 2004
  8. ]v[etaphoid

    ImhoTech Guest

    No they done. Jetway makes junk, always has.

    ImhoTech, Dec 8, 2004
  9. ]v[etaphoid

    Cuzman Guest

    " Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades? "

    A while ago I replied to a similar query on usenet. I listed a number of
    400FSB Nforce2 motherboards for the OP to look at. I'm not making any
    specific recommendations with the following, so maybe you'd like to look
    them up yourself:

    Micro-ATX:

    - Albatron KM18G Pro http://snipurl.com/9aq0
    - AOpen MK79G-1394 http://snipurl.com/9ap6
    - AOpen MK79G-N http://snipurl.com/9apr
    - Asus A7N8X-VM http://snipurl.com/9aou
    - Asus A7N8X-VM/400 http://snipurl.com/9aov
    - Biostar M7NCG http://snipurl.com/9aq6
    - Biostar M7NCG-400 http://snipurl.com/9aq9
    - Biostar M7NCG-400 (7.x) http://snipurl.com/9aqe
    - Chaintech 7NIF2 http://snipurl.com/9aqs
    - Epox EP-8RGM3I http://snipurl.com/9arl
    - Epox EP-8RGMI http://snipurl.com/9arm
    - FIC K7M-NF18G http://snipurl.com/9asx
    - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18GM http://snipurl.com/9asu
    - MSI K7N2GM-IL http://snipurl.com/9atk
    - MSI K7N2GM-L http://snipurl.com/9atk
    - MSI K7N2GM2-ILSR http://snipurl.com/9atn
    - MSI K7N2GM2-LSR http://snipurl.com/9atn
    - Shuttle MN31L http://snipurl.com/9aoq
    - Shuttle MN31N http://snipurl.com/9aop

    ATX:

    - Abit NF7-M http://snipurl.com/9apt
    - AOpen AK79G Max http://snipurl.com/9apj
    - Aopen AK79G Tube http://snipurl.com/9apl
    - AOpen AK79G-1394 http://snipurl.com/9ape
    - AOpen AK79G-V http://snipurl.com/9app
    - AOpen AK79G-VN http://snipurl.com/9apq
    - Biostar M7NCG Pro http://snipurl.com/9aqb
    - Gigabyte GA-7N400V http://snipurl.com/9arx
    - Gigabyte GA-7N400V Pro http://snipurl.com/9art
    - Gigabyte GA-7N400V Pro2 http://snipurl.com/9aru
    - Gigabyte GA-7N400V-L http://snipurl.com/9as4
    - Gigabyte GA-7NNXPV http://snipurl.com/9ars
    - Jetway KOCAB18P http://snipurl.com/9atc
    - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18G http://snipurl.com/9as9
    - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18G-Pro http://snipurl.com/9asb
    - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18G-ProII http://snipurl.com/9asf
    - MSI K7N2G-ILSR http://snipurl.com/9ati
    - MSI K7N2G-L http://snipurl.com/9ati
    - Soltek SL-75MRN http://snipurl.com/9ata
    - Soltek SL-75MRN-L http://snipurl.com/9ata

    Cuzman, Dec 8, 2004
  10. ]v[etaphoid

    Fitz Guest

    Yes, Biostar.
    Take a look at their website.
    I'm running three of their boards and have had no problems with them at all.
    One is being used by a six year old- a good test of reliability.

    Their documentation is a little weak, but aside from that, it a good product
    and a great value for the money.

    Fitz

    Fitz, Dec 8, 2004
  11. ]v[etaphoid

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    it's cheaper to just buy a discounted emachine...
    you can't out price one by building it yourself.
    just adding a hi-end video card will not improve the entire system
    performance.

    you either pay the bucks for good gear or you stick with mediocre. don't mix
    the two.
    the monitor is what you will see the most, so go for quality and not price.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Dec 8, 2004
  12. ]v[etaphoid

    BIG NIGE Guest

    You can always Buy a better MOBO now without graphics and put in a cheap
    128MB Radeon Card and upgrade the video as and when required (much better in
    the long run than using a lower quality MOBO and regretting it later)

    BIG NIGE, Dec 8, 2004
  13. ]v[etaphoid

    ImhoTech Guest

    More complete bullshit. The OP was trying to avoid junk. Like emachines...

    ImhoTech, Dec 8, 2004
  14. ]v[etaphoid

    Tj Guest

    This is an older board but super cheap and reliable. It has video, lan and
    audio. The only draw back is if you upgrade video you would need to use pci,
    I don't think it has an agp.

    Intel 845 GVSRL
    Specifications -

    Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron Processors
    Chipset: Intel 845GV + ICH4
    FSB: 533/400MHz
    RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR333/266 Max 2GB
    IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
    Slots: 3x PCI
    Ports: 2xPS/2,1xVGA,1xCOM,1xLPT,1xLAN,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4), Audio Ports
    Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC202A 2-Channel Codec
    Onboard Video: Intel Extreme Graphics
    Onboard LAN: Intel 82562ET 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
    Form Factor: microATX

    Tj, Dec 8, 2004

  15. The 845GV chips do not support a AGP Slot, only the 845G.

    ASRock has a board that does, but its not called a AGP but AGI, but has the
    Dual Channel 865GV chipset, 800mhz clock

    http://www.asrock.com/product/product_p4i65gv.htm

    Woger MKII , Dec 8, 2004
  16. ]v[etaphoid

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    low-mid range system is junk...

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Dec 9, 2004
  17. ]v[etaphoid

    ]v[etaphoid Guest

    Many thanks for the definitive list. And thanks to the other contributors
    too.

    Out of them all, mind if I ask which you opted for?

    On the basis of features for the money, the last two Gigabyte boards look
    hard to beat - unfortunately, they're just about non-existant in Australia.
    Still looking...

    ]v[etaphoid, Dec 14, 2004
  18. Jetway make terrible motherboards!

    Pete Davidson, Jan 27, 2005