Decent (cheap) backup program

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ashley, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. Ashley

    Ashley Guest

    Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap (preferably free, but I'm realistic!)
    backup program that I can use to replace Windows backup, which constantly
    fails to work?

    What I'm looking for:

    1. I don't do complete backups, as the disk I backup to isn't big enough to
    handle it. Instead, I just backup My documents, emails, address book,
    computer favourites etc, so it needs to be a program that will allow partial
    backups.

    2. It needs to be idiot-proof - I'm probably slightly above averagely
    computer literate for a 44yo woman, but only grudgingly so. I'd rather the
    damned things just worked without me having to use my brain figuring out how
    and why!

    3. It has to be reliable. It's crucial business data I'm backing up so,
    unlike windows backup (don't bother anyone) it has to go when I schedule it
    to.

    Suggestions welcomed :)

    Ashley, Mar 25, 2006

  2. Depends on how valuable the data is really. Consider the cost to your
    business if you lost the data. Then consider the cost of good data backup
    program. Which one's cheaper, in terms of money, time and hassle? I've
    always wished I made better backups of my data:)

    I'd recommend software from http://www.veritas.com.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 25, 2006

  3. Look at Syncback

    www.2brightsparks.com

    I've used the free version for incremental backups for over two
    years, and I know of one commercial use backing up to a server, all
    without hitch.

    You can back to CD or CDRW, or to another HDD or another
    partition.

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Mar 25, 2006
  4. Ashley

    bambam Guest

    Karen's Replicator

    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

    Cobain Backup

    http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

    Both are freeware, but Karens Replicator is only free for non-commercial
    use.

    bambam, Mar 25, 2006
  5. Ashley

    Craig Shore Guest

    I've been using Microsoft SyncToy which is part of the Win XP Powertoys.
    It's free.

    Craig Shore, Mar 25, 2006
  6. Ashley

    Enkidu Guest

    I've used Windows Backup for years, scheduled and scripted, with no
    problems, but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.

    Whatever system you choose, don't forget to test it periodically.

    I don't know what medium you back up to, but maybe a simple 'xcopy'
    would do the job for you.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 25, 2006
  7. Ashley

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Sure is, but what a performance to get it. I *know* I have a genuine,
    legal windows installation here, but MS wants me to validate my system
    anyway; everytime you download from MS now you have to do this. Last
    time I thought I'd just save the validation code I retrieved, but these
    expire after a period of time - and it seems likely the validation tools
    do, too. Once these tools only run on recent versions of Windows,
    anybody who is trying to obtain older software for older versions of
    Windows is hosed.

    Value of going through this process, to me, is zero. I doubt that MS
    gets much more out of it. What the hell are they thinking?

    So yeah, SyncBack gets my vote, too. :)

    -=rjh=-, Mar 26, 2006
  8. I use HandyBackup (www.handybackup.net) and it's great stuff.

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Mar 26, 2006
  9. Ashley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    If you are using XP then you can't go past the excellent (free download)
    utility from Microsoft, Synctoy. The best siftware they've written in 12
    years IMO.

    ~misfit~, Mar 26, 2006
  10. Ashley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Aye, Synctoy is XP only.
    <whispers> If you get the filename from the MS site and then look around
    certain P2P or torrent sites software like this can often be found. Saves
    jumping through flaming hoops of fire.

    I use Synctoy and think it's the shit. (Excuse profanity, it just seemed
    apt). I "echo" my selected folders to another (USB) drive, some to another
    machine, and some to re-writable media. It's a breeze to use, simple,
    dummy-friendly interface. It'll only over-write files that have been changed
    in echo mode, left to right. In sync mode it'll copy changes both ways.
    There are other modes too.

    ~misfit~, Mar 26, 2006
  11. Ashley

    -=rjh=- Guest

    I mean the validation tool, eventually it won't be available for older
    unsupported Windows.
    Nah, just get the links from

    http://www.mdgx.com/xptoy.htm#PT2

    :)

    -=rjh=-, Mar 26, 2006
  12. Ashley

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Usually it's not in the backing up that you experience problems - it's
    when you try to restore again.

    I'd second Waylon's suggesting. Don't cheap out on your backup system
    - Veritas Backup Exec is really the only option.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 26, 2006
  13. Ashley

    k Guest

    Mozy - fits the criteria of points 1, 2 and 3.

    http://www.mozy.com/

    k, Mar 26, 2006
  14. Ashley

    Ashley Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll take a look at them all, and see what
    I understand!

    Ashley, Mar 26, 2006
  15. Ashley

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Mar 26, 2006
  16. Ashley

    Gordon Guest

    http://www.nonags.com

    Gordon, Mar 26, 2006
  17. Ashley

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=-, Mar 26, 2006
  18. Ashley

    RJ Guest

    Big deal
    Maybe you installation isn't legal like you claim
    Conpsiracy theory bulldust
    You can still get downloads for Windows 95 off the MS website

    RJ, Mar 26, 2006
  19. Ashley

    Ross Guest

    Yes, if you want extremely expensive and difficult to use software.

    Otherwise I would suggest Cobian Backup 7. It's free, works on all
    versions of Windows. It creates standard zip files with optional
    encryption.

    Ross

    Ross, Mar 26, 2006
  20. Ashley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nice. I see that, at least according to that page, SyncToy isn't XP-only. I
    got that impression as it wanted to do it's validation routine thingy. My
    bad.

    ~misfit~, Mar 26, 2006