    So what would you guys recommend?

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jul 29, 2008

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Andy Guest

    I use a Belkin 4 port ADSL/VoIP router. I did a fair bit of reading
    before I played with QoS settings (I recommend you do the same if you
    haven't already). Haven't had a problem with it, and it's been on for
    about two years now.

    Andy, Jul 29, 2008

  3. Hey Andy. What is the QoS like on your router? Is it harder than
    assigning a port range a priority? I really want something I can
    understand which is why Linksys was a total waste of time.

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jul 29, 2008
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Andy Guest

    Jamie,

    Are you looking at this from a perspective for prioritising data or
    voice traffic?

    Screenshots of the config screens as follows. This has purely been set
    up to allow better line quality when making/receiving a phone call
    (VoIP). I have no needs specific to data traffic:

    http://i38.tinypic.com/20ieupt.png

    The number in that last field is in fact '50'%.

    http://i36.tinypic.com/2ep3vyf.png

    Setting up for specific types of traffic, which by the sounds of it is
    what you're looking at doing:

    http://i38.tinypic.com/1zluek6.jpg
    http://i35.tinypic.com/b4j60p.png

    Not exactly straightforward I know. What are you looking at trying to
    achieve with QoS?

    Andy, Jul 29, 2008
  5. Thanks for the above.

    As to what I want - I run BitTorrent, VoIP, various games, etc on my Mac
    and want to control as much as possible so VoIP, IRC, Instant messaging
    and games for example have higher priority over web browsing, FTP,
    email, etc.

    Put simply: if it uses a known set of ports and is either vital
    communication and/or a significant fraction of my bandwidth, I want to
    be able to assign the service priorities against others I've assigned
    and against a default priority for unassigned ports. While there's more
    sophisticated QoS that doesn't rely only on ports, I will settle for the
    above (which is what my flakey ZyXEL P660H does).

    Pity nothing seems to work for Skype, but you can't have everything and
    Skype seems to work well anyway.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jul 29, 2008
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jasen Betts Guest

    from that it sounds like you want traffic shaping.
    QoS is an IP thing where the application assigns a priority to the
    packets it produces, it needn't involve port ranges at all.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Jul 30, 2008
  7. I guess so. In that case what ADSL router would you suggest?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jul 30, 2008