Dead... the damn thing's dead...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by David Dean, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. David Dean

    David Dean Guest

    Hi folks,
    I s'pose I should start with system specs, so here goes -
    A7N8X Deluxe,
    512MB PC3200 RAM (Samsung)
    1x60GB HDD,
    1x80GB HDD,
    Ti4200 graphics card,
    333MHz XP2600,
    550W PSU,
    DVD-R/RW,
    Several fans etc...
    Modem,
    TV capture card.

    Okay, so now that's outta the way, here's the problem -
    I was working on a website this evening, and as I was about to save the
    page, the damn computer just froze. I press the reset button and it shuts
    off, but doesn't restart...
    It just hangs there, drive light on, power to the motherboard, DVD-R/RW
    spinning up, all the internal lights on, fans going... but that's it. The
    monitor stays dead and there's no POST, beeps or anything... The drives work
    in my other computer just fine, and I tried a new PSU in the system but I
    get the same problem. Were it the CPU or RAM, the thing would at least POST
    and tell me there was a problem, wouldn't it? Even after a CMOS reset,
    nothing happened.... I'm gonna try again with a new CPU tomorrow, and maybe
    some RAM if I can get hold of some, but I doubt that's the problem...
    Anyhoo, ideas would be gratefully recieved.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave.

    David Dean, Jan 28, 2004

  2. David Dean

    ICee Guest

    Doesn't sound good. Were you overclocking, or running default speeds?
    Did you monitor temperatures while it was running, and if so, were they
    'normal'?
    Sounds like a bad CPU, or motherboard problem, since you don't even get
    anything from the BIOS.

    ICee, Jan 28, 2004

  3. David Dean

    David Dean Guest

    Yeah, it was all at stock speeds... I haven't overclocked in a long time.
    And I saw no reason to be monitoring temps, as it was running at stock.
    *shrugs* I dunno, I'll try a new CPU tomorrow, but my money's on the mobo...

    David Dean, Jan 28, 2004
  4. David Dean

    ICee Guest

    I had to ask, but since it's not overclocked, a CPU temp poblem is
    unlikely. I hope the new CPU fixes it, but it really sounds like a dead
    MB to me also.
    Good luck.

    ICee, Jan 28, 2004
  5. David Dean

    David Dean Guest

    David Dean, Jan 28, 2004
  6. David Dean

    ICee Guest

    You're welcome, and do that. :)

    ICee, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Ooooh, finally I get the bugger back online... As I, and everybody else I
    asked, suspected, it turned out to be a dead CPU that was causing the
    problems... I stick in an old XP2200 and it works fine! I've got a new
    Barton XP2500 coming next week as a replacement, which is good 'cos I was
    looking for an excuse to upgrade =P Thanks again for your help...
    Dave.

    Tin-Char D'un, Jan 29, 2004
  8. David Dean

    ICee Guest

    Thanks for the update, Dave. Good thing that it was the CPU and not the
    motherboard! You know that the Barton XP2500+ will easily overclock to
    XP3200+ speeds by simply setting the FSB to 200 MHz (and maybe having to
    up Vcore just a bit.) :)
    Your choice, of course, but the XP2500+ is a good CPU in any case.
    Good luck.

    ICee, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Aye, that's why I plumped for it ~ I saw some good results in
    alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (seem to remember your name popping up in
    there occasioanlly, too =P) I'll give the bugger a whirl and let you know
    how I get on. Thanks again!
    Dave.

    Tin-Char D'un, Jan 30, 2004
  10. David Dean

    ICee Guest

    Yes, I do lurk in the overclocking.amd news group occasionally. ;)
    My system is a NF7-S MB with a XP1700+ running at 2200 MHz (1.6v core)
    with a 220 MHz FSB, and PC3500 OCZ memory. I've seen many builders get
    just as good performance with ASUS A7N8X, so you're all set. I'll be
    looking forward to seeing how you do with the XP2500+. See you either
    here, or there. And, you're welcome. :)

    ICee, Jan 30, 2004