    protectors degrade with time? Should I buy a new surge protector??
    Thanks.
    ~Q

    Q, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Q

    foad Guest

    sure, buy a new surge protector. that will most definetly bring your dead
    power supply and mother board back to life. what a nimrod.

    foad, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Q

    Q Guest

    Please don't "answer" my posts.

    Q, Jan 29, 2005
  4. Q

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I have an old "Curtis Command Center" surge protector. Last week my
    computer
    | power supply went bad, as did the motherboard. My question is this, do
    surge
    | protectors degrade with time? Should I buy a new surge protector??
    | Thanks.
    | ~Q

    Yes. Surge protectors will go bad. The more surges they stop, the sooner
    they fail to work correctly. Replace it? Maybe. It could be fine though. In
    reality, many power supplies fail without any help from a bad surge
    protector. In fact, even motherboards can fail. And I've had motherboards
    kill power supplies, and vice versa.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2005
  5. Q

    Pennywise Guest

    |> I have an old "Curtis Command Center" surge protector. Last week my computer
    |> power supply went bad, as did the motherboard. My question is this, do surge
    |> protectors degrade with time? Should I buy a new surge protector??

    Surge Protectors act like an electrical sponge, absorbing dangerous
    excess voltage and preventing most of it from reaching your sensitive
    equipment. Like a sponge, surge protectors have a limited capacity to
    absorb. Once the capacity is reached, the unit is no longer protecting
    your equipment and it should be replaced.

    http://www.woods.com/consumerservice/hlp5.asp

    What the means is that the chips direct spike's to ground, too many or a
    really good one will cause the chips to ground out. The only fix is
    either replace the chips or surge protector.

    Pennywise, Jan 29, 2005
  6. Q

    7 Guest

    Lightening strike energy can still pass through the surge
    protector. But its not that you need to worry about.
    Power supplies build up dust and possibility of
    insects crawling inside them as well as small kids poking
    thing into the computer.
    You get about 3 years power supply life after which you should
    change them - the last thing you want is motherboard
    and hard disk going up in flames because a power
    supply you should have changed for $15 has not been changed.

    7, Jan 29, 2005