    512MB of DDRAM PC266

    with a Pentium 4 2.4 b GHZ

    Thanks in advance for your opinions!!!

    natural_4u, Feb 24, 2004

  2. It all depended upon whether I was going for speed or needed the most
    memory.

    David BlandIII, Feb 24, 2004

  3. natural_4u

    RussS Guest

    DDR

    RussS, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Yes, i had one of those early systems that could handle both sd and ddr, i
    started out with sd, and upgraded to ddr eventually, i wasn't expecting any
    huge difference, but to my surprise the system sure ran a lot faster after
    the switch. I would definately recommend the DDR, 512 megs is good for most
    stuff, unless your running some memory intensive software, go with the ddr

    Creative Door, Feb 24, 2004
  5. natural_4u

    AG Guest

    Actually I have a board that takes both SDRAM and DDR. You can use only one
    at a time. I bought it because at the time I didn't have enough money for
    new RAM and still wanted to upgrade later.
    I don't remember what model I used. I've since broken the AGP slot on that
    board and gotten another but the link below is to a page that describes one
    that does take both.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-135-126&catalog=22&depa=1

    Personally I'd recommend the DDR because it runs so much faster.
    AG

    AG, Feb 24, 2004
  6. I have rather limited needs myself as far as RAM goes. I am trying to
    imagine a (home) scenario where 512 M was not enough. I suspect that
    they must exist, but can anyone outline a specific scenario where the
    HDD is being paged when there is 512M of physical RAM, in other words,
    a scenario where 512M of physical RAM is insufficient to support the
    OS and running software (other than a server)? Thanks.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Tom,

    I have 512MB DDR installed in my PC and I frequently run into RAM problems.
    I sometimes keep my MBD's memory utility running so I can look at the RAM
    allocation dynamically and on many occasions I run into the "swap meet"
    blues.

    It all depends upon how many and what kinds of applications you run
    concurrently.
    I can easily get bogged down when opening several pages of my net browser
    while running my Music Match program and a multimedia app or two in the
    back-
    ground. Another problem that I frequently get that prompts me to plan to up
    my
    RAM to 1 GB is that I seem to have more than one problem with applications
    that fail to release their memory upon termination. Thus after closing one
    such app
    and launching another my system quickly turns into a vat of molasses. The
    extra
    memory will keep me from having to reboot as often.

    Lastly running concurrent programs that deal with video playback or
    streaming,
    image manipulation and or music will bring 512MB RAM to its knees very
    quickly.
    So it all depends on you usage habits. Just my two cents worth.

    David BlandIII, Feb 24, 2004
  8. natural_4u

    natural_4u Guest

    From what I've read, there is a lot of opinions on using both, meaning... it
    couldn't hurt with either opinions. I currently have 1 GB of SDRAM PC 133,
    so I'm gonna stick with this for now and when I have enough money to spare,
    I will upgrade to 1GB of DDR.

    Also, I do watch a lot of video and play a lot of music and have a TV
    tuner... so I guess the extra RAM will will come in handy.

    natural_4u, Feb 24, 2004
  9. natural_4u

    RussS Guest

    Tom - Using Photoshop with big files does it every time. Most of my clients
    who do ad work using Photoshop like to run a Gig - more is possible.

    David - MusicMatch I stay away from - tends to hog memory and not release it
    cleanly (I think perhaps a combination issue, but only happened for me with
    MM).
    I have also noticed that some other MultiMedia apps are chronic for that
    exact same issue too.

    RussS, Feb 25, 2004
  10. natural_4u

    RussS Guest

    Hey dood

    You will find that 512 of DDR will totally cream 1 Gb of SD. However since
    it appears that you have one of the earlier MotherBoards I am not certain if
    you would get the full benefit of DDR, but the increase from 133 to 266
    would certainly not go astray.

    RussS, Feb 25, 2004
  11. What OS? Is it RAM problems, or resource problems?

    I only have 160M of RAM running W2k, and I have about 60M free with 13
    applications running (Office stuff, several browsers, a few small
    games).
    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 25, 2004
  12. Barry,

    I haven't had the chance to study up on RAM as in depth as I'd like, but do
    you think
    that is the problem with being able to add much more than 1GB of DDR to a
    system?
    I'm getting kind of tired of seeing MB companies pitch the fact that their
    motherboards
    can use up to 3 or 4 GB of RAM only to find out time and time again from the
    memory
    mfgs that sticks of 1GB or larger are unstable or can't be utilized in
    Dual-channel mode
    or aren't recommended at all for more than 2 sticks, etc. Damn it, I want by
    2 Gigs;
    and I want it in two sticks so I can up it to 3 or 4 if I want! :)

    David BlandIII, Feb 25, 2004
  13. It's both. While you can't get around the old resource issue you can
    alleviate the
    swap meet issue with more RAM. Like I said, I frequently watch as my RAM
    reaches it's limit on the ol' RAM-o-meter!

    David BlandIII, Feb 25, 2004
  14. Barry,

    You must be psychic because that's precisely the MB/memory combination I was
    looking at. Unfortunately after talking to the tech at ASUS he said that the
    P4C800E
    hadn't been certified for more than two sticks of even their 512MB PC3200
    RAM.
    And even with that memory, it wasn't recommended for use in dual channel
    mode;
    I think.

    On the bright side, the tech at Mushkin did say that their new dual pack of
    level II
    DDR400 memory (#103-956) (512MB sticks) would work with the P4C800E in
    dual channel mode but then I still couldn't get past 2 Gigs. Those dual
    packs also
    cost $340 a pop ($680 for 2GB RAM and I still can't get more than the 2 Gigs
    :)

    Do you know of any high-end Mobos that use RDRAM??

    David BlandIII, Feb 26, 2004
  15. What kind of work do you do Barry? You seem to be up on your tech specs a
    bunch.

    David BlandIII, Feb 26, 2004
  16. Thanks for the advice. I'll go an check it out now. I always did like those
    Gigabyte boards.

    David BlandIII, Feb 26, 2004
  17. LOL, I meant ASUS. What would Freud say about that?

    David BlandIII, Feb 26, 2004
  18. I found some on PriceGrabber.com for $113 but Jesus H - $250 to $300 for
    512MB
    of RDRAM!!!!!! No wonder people are shouting conspiracy! :)

    David BlandIII, Feb 26, 2004
  19. So you're basically just winging it. :)

    David BlandIII, Feb 27, 2004