DD-WRT, Nokia N95 & SIP - help

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by BigAl.NZ, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. BigAl.NZ

    BigAl.NZ Guest

    Hi All,

    I have recently flashed my WRT54G v1 to the latest stable release of
    the DD-WRT generic firmware. Looks very slick.

    I do however have a problem I hope someone can help me with. One of
    the devices I want to connect via wifi to the router is my Nokia N95
    cellphone which has wifi.

    I can web surf via the router just fine, but when my the phone tries
    to connect to the SIP server the phone comes up with Cannot connect to
    connection network.

    Now this did work on the standard linksys firmware, so hopefully it is
    just a setting?

    I have set the phone to a static IP, and forwarded various ports to
    the phone including:

    Any help/suggestions appreciated.

    Cheers

    -Al

    BigAl.NZ, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Usually, you need to foward 69, 16384-16482,5060, all UDP to the phone.
    Further, it is best to give the 16384-16482 ports (UDP) QoS priority. That
    range may be about twice the size it needs to be for one phone line ... that
    is the range I use for two SIP lines. Also, make sure no other SIP device on
    your network is not relying upon these same ports. It is probably safe to
    ignore port 69 altogether, but if your Nokia is the ONLY SIP device, then go
    ahead and forward it.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jan 30, 2008

  3. BigAl.NZ

    B. Wright Guest

    Does the N95 support STUN? Just curious because I tried to get
    a friend's working real quick and had no luck, but, didn't have much time
    to work on it. I don't remember seeing any STUN settings in the menus but
    they were a bit convulted and hard to navigate so maybe I missed it. There
    also seems to be two identical sets of settings for the sip proxy unless
    the one labled "Registration server" was the regular sip proxy and the other
    is an inline RTP/audio proxy??

    Also seems from a quick search the built in SIP client might be a
    bit crap and there are third party clients you can load with better results,
    just wondering what anyone's experience is with any of those?

    B. Wright, Jan 31, 2008
  4. I think if your provider offers an outbound proxy, you don't have to worry
    about stun [it is done by the outbound proxy].
    Java is the most likely support and that might not peform well enough on the
    little procs of the Nokia phone.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jan 31, 2008