    The error causes programs to hang when opened. Control Panel, Excel, Word,

    Any ideas?
    Thanks

    Sycoe, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Sycoe

    William Guest

    in message: " I am getting a dcom error. I reboot and I get
    this error when attempting to
    connect to the network. The other computers on the network are giving me
    these errors. I am running Win XP Pro.
    The error causes programs to hang when opened. Control Panel, Excel, Word,
    Any ideas?"
    Thanks

    William Replied: "Check Steve Gibsons site about the "DCOMbobulator" "

    http://grc.com/dcom/

    Take out the TRASH to reply !

    William, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Sycoe

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    Boot into Safe Mode and start your registry editor:
    Start / Run / regedit

    Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    +Software
    +Microsoft
    +Windows
    +CurrentVersion
    +Run

    In the right-hand pane, look for any entry/ies that include
    MSBLAST.EXE, PENIS32.EXE or TEEKIDS.EXE and
    DELETE it/them.
    These are the files associated with the different variants:
    Variant A - msblast.exe
    Variant B - penis32.exe
    Variant C - teekids.exe

    You just disabled the worm from running at startup, so boot into
    normal mode again, and turn off ALL system restores to purge
    your system.

    Open Windows Explorer to the ..\Windows\System32\ or
    ...\WinNT\System32\ folder and DELETE *any* of the
    files named above.

    Next, go to the ..\Windows\Prefetch\ or ..\WinNT\Prefetch\
    and find the reference to the above file/s (any reference will
    be similar to: <filename.exe>-<alphanumerics>.PF), for example,
    msblast.exe-0235D8H6.pf, and DELETE it/them.

    Now you can download and install the patch, configure your
    firewall and update your virus scanner.

    Virus Alert About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants

    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

    What you should know about the Blaster worm

    Windows RPC DCOM Buffer Overflow Remote Exploit (MS03-026)
    http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/07.25.winrpcdcom.c.php

    How to Use The KB 823980 Scanning Tool to Identify Host Computers
    That Do Not Have The 823980 Security Patch (MS03-026) Installed

    W32.Blaster.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

    W32.Blaster.B.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.b.worm.html