    I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    program that could do it?

    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007

  2. Basil Fawlty

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    So this .DBF file would be?

    a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
    b) Abacus Law Data?
    c) ACT! Main Database File?
    d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
    e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
    f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
    g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
    any description

    Desk Rabbit, Oct 22, 2007

  3. Basil Fawlty

    Basil Fawlty Guest

    Dunno, it's an old DOS file. I downloaded DBF Recovery and it opens the
    file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks. That's
    too much for recovery of just one file.

    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  4. Basil Fawlty

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    So how do you know it's corrupt if you don't even know what type of file
    it is and what program opens it????

    Crooks???? They spends hours developing software to enable you to
    recover your data in a few seconds and they dare to charge you for
    that??? What is the world coming to?

    Desk Rabbit, Oct 22, 2007
  5. Basil Fawlty

    Basil Fawlty Guest

    It is a file from an old adress database, it opens with a German prog called
    "kunden.exe". The appl. hangs when trying to access the dbf file.
    Im a cheap bastard, OK?

    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  6. Basil Fawlty

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    So it could be a proprietry format which proably explains why some of
    the other applications you tried failed to work.

    Desk Rabbit, Oct 22, 2007
  7. Basil Fawlty

    Basil Fawlty Guest

    Like I said, DBF-Recovery can read the file, but save only 25 records of it.

    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  8. Basil Fawlty

    why? Guest

    It doesn't say what type of DBF it is?

    Last time I had to restore a DBF file, the file was intact but the data
    was corrupted. Simple method was to knock up a simple Perl script to
    read a DBase III/VI file.

    <snip many blank lines>

    Me

    why?, Oct 22, 2007
  9. Basil Fawlty

    Basil Fawlty Guest

    Unfortunately, it doesn't...

    I'm not a coder, I'll have to study on a "simple Perl script" to read a DBF
    file.
    I'll try to snip the blank lines myself first...
    Basil

    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  10. Basil Fawlty

    Plato Guest

    Then just use your backup. No problem whatsoever. You do have a backup,
    right? Since it's an important file..

    Plato, Oct 27, 2007
  11. Basil Fawlty

    TekTel_99

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Try Kernel repair for DBF[FONT=Times New Roman, serif], This software supports different Dbase versions such as Dbase I, II, III, IV and V. Moreover, the utility also works on several versions of Foxbase, Fox pro and Visual Fox Pro. An user is required to buy the license key of the recovery program, in order to save the retrieved files on his/her system.To know more about the tool and how it repairs corrupt dbf file visit http://www.repairdbf.net/

    [/FONT]

    TekTel_99, Jul 4, 2012