Date Not Displaying Properly

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Sep 16, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm running WinXP x64 Professional and have recently noticed a problem with
    "dates". When I hover over the time on the start bar ... no date pop-up will
    appear displaying the date. When I'm in windows explorer, no date (only
    time) appears in the details view for files in any directory/subdirectory
    (neither "date created" nor "date modified" fields display dates
    created/modified ... just times created/modified). When I look at the
    Date/Time Control panel, I see nothing but the number "1" (repeated 12 times)
    in the month drop-down list (it should list January, February, March, April,
    etc.). The calendar in the control panel appears to be the proper month and
    the appropriate day is highlighted.

    What happened? Anybody got any idea how to fix this one? The problem
    persists after a restart.

    Guest, Sep 16, 2007

  2. Hi,
    may be wrong settings in "region and language control" ??
    .....its just a try, set it to a similar region for you, try it and then do
    it back
    regards jk

    Juergen Kluth, Sep 17, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Well ... that would have been nice if it had worked ... but no luck. While I
    was in the Region & Languages control panel, I clicked on the "customize"
    button and then the "date" tab. Almost immediately, it came up with a dialog
    window stating that apparently "one of the files on your computer is either
    corrupt or missing ... to fix this, reinstall windows." Well crapola!
    That's the last thing I really want to do ... spend the next 8-10 hours
    reinstalling and updating everything. You'd think it could at least tell you
    "WHAT" file is corrupt or missing.

    Oh and before your post ... I thought gee wouldn't it be nice if I just
    might be able to use a "restore point" ... wrong ... it came up with
    september's calendar ... but no others .... showed the same restore time on
    each bolded September day ... and when I clicked "next" ... you guessed it
    .... absolutely nothing happened. Double crapola!

    Guest, Sep 17, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Based on the error message displayed in the Region & Languages control panel
    after clicking the "customize" button, I inserted my windows XP x64 install
    disk, told it to install and then asked it to try to "repair" my
    installation. To my surprise, it took my PC back to the equivalent of day 1
    + software installs. After the "repair," dates were properly displaying in
    windows explorer and the date now pops up when hovering over the date on the
    start bar. I then applied all the security fixes and updated to IE7.
    Everything is still working including system restore (I created a new restore
    point after doing all the updates). Hope it stays that way.

    Thanks for the hint to look in the Region & Languages panel.

    Guest, Sep 18, 2007
  5. pure coincident
    the repair-install made it
    fine :)