    Maxtor to boot up. Is there an easy fix to this?

    Sincerely,
    Martin

    Martin, Apr 2, 2004

  2. Martin

    HF Guest

    Put the new drive in as slave. The Maxtor software will show you how to do
    the rest I assume you have downloaded the Maxtor software to a
    floppy.If you havent then go to the Maxtor website and do it.

    HF, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Martin

    HF Guest

    Yes you put the old drive in as master drive and add the new one as slave.
    You may have to change the settings on the old drive when it is in a dual
    setup but you can check this easily.Now use the Maxtor utility (if you have
    the right one -if not go to the Maxtor website to download ).The Maxtor gear
    will partition and format and will copy all of the stuff on the old drive to
    the new one.NOW change the new drive to a master drive and make the other
    one the slave.Now simply delete the OS on the old drive. Also whatever else
    you dont want.If in doubt go to www.computerhope.com

    HF, Apr 3, 2004
  4. Martin

    HF Guest

    Put the old drive in as master and the new drive as slave. The old drive may
    have differemnt setings in a dual situation so check. Now use the Maxtor
    drive instal software to partition and format the new drive. Next copy the
    old contents to the new drive. Now change the jumpers so that the NEW drive
    is master and the OLD is now slave. Boot up and delete the OS on the old
    drive. Delete anything else you dont want. If stuck go to
    www.computerhope.com You will find full info on the Maxtor website as

    HF, Apr 3, 2004
  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    I’ve used the Maxtor program that I’ve downloaded, with little success.
    The partitioning and formatting seems to go fine. The next process of
    copying files to the new hard drive seems to go on. Later, a black
    screen shows up. I can see the new HDD in “my computer” but no size or
    free space shows up there. I’ve also attempted to use “utilities” drive
    to drive partition copy, with no success. I’ve given up! I’m going to
    do a Windows XP install on the new drive and restore the files from
    backups. This will be more work but not much more than all the time
    that I’ve already wasted. Thanks for the suggestions.

    Martin, Apr 5, 2004
  6. Martin

    Thor Guest

    Do you know whether your motherboard supports a drive that large? Many top
    out at 137GB because they lack support for 48bit LBA. Also, WinXP SP1 is
    required for support of drives over 137GB.

    Thor, Apr 5, 2004