    Australia Mate!
    What do you guys know about data recovery? If I took a hard drive somewhere would they just read the drive bit by bit and recreate that data and recover it? Anything that has written over something that was previously there would still not be recoverable no matter what they did?
    Because I used a program that reads the entire disk but can't get data back once it has been overwritten. It's not worth paying through the nose for them to do the same thing but if they can do something I can't I might consider it. Anyone got any ideas?

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 24, 2005

  2. RObErT_RaTh

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    If it's been overwritten, no, it's gone, they can't get at it. You should use a program like Norton Ghost and make backups.

    The Modfather, Sep 24, 2005

  3. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    u could take it to a professional Data Recovery place that opens the Drive to get the disks, but they cost alot.

    unholy, Sep 24, 2005
  4. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    But even if they take out the platters they wont be able to get data that has already had something put over the top can they?

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 24, 2005
  5. RObErT_RaTh

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    I think he did have images of it, on the other computer, right rath? Just that he accidentally rooted the other computer aswell :p

    XhArD, Sep 24, 2005
  6. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    you can get the data BUT its going to be unreadable, as i think it takes 3 overwrites before the data has been removed fully.
    u could ring up seagate or something see what they can do, but i think the dats gone.

    unholy, Sep 24, 2005
  7. RObErT_RaTh

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Um, no, one overwrite is all you need. Where'd you get the 3 idea from? One will do it. All your data is just a bunch of 1's and 0's, if one is switched it's toast. While it's true that deleting a file doesn't really remove it once you've written any data on that spot, it's irrevocably gone.

    The Modfather, Sep 24, 2005
  8. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Fraid not, places like the FBI and CIA (don't laugh at me) have specific ways of reading the magnetic field left behind from previous writes or something. There are programs out to secure erase your hard drive and they write random jumble to it a number of times before formatting. 3x is the minimum (close unholy ;)) and 9x is the FBI requirement for removing data on a hard drive before using it for something else.

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 25, 2005
  9. RObErT_RaTh

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Not 100% true... Here's the full scoop.

    The Modfather, Sep 25, 2005
  10. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    it wouldn't be possible to find something that has been changed unless u know how it was changed.
    Think about it.
    Example!!!
    If i put a Monitor in front of me, but i didn't tell you. then i removed it, u would never know it was there. (if i cleaned up the Dust that surround it.)

    unholy, Sep 25, 2005
  11. RObErT_RaTh

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is relevant how? You've lost me.

    The Modfather, Sep 26, 2005
  12. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    It's unholy, it doesn't have to make sense :p
    Also that paper was from way back in 1996 so think about it, they have come up with better technologies since then ;)

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 26, 2005
  13. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    nah theres the limitation of funding not to mention the physical limits.

    unholy, Sep 26, 2005
  14. RObErT_RaTh

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Data is data, if it's gone it's gone, technology isn't going to change that any time soon.

    The Modfather, Sep 27, 2005
  15. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Those special microscopes they use to read and recover the data have gotton much more sophisticated.

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 27, 2005
  16. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    haha, theres a limit, its like trying to solve a crime without any evidence... :p u can look but who says ur going to find, the chances are little, and because Computers store on magnetic disks, the chances of recovering those Slight Dints is near impossible is they ahve been over written.

    unholy, Sep 27, 2005
  17. RObErT_RaTh

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Exactly, the "better more advanced microscope" is only going to show you a clearer image of what you can't do. :)

    The Modfather, Sep 28, 2005
  18. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    honesty how are u supposed to tell what was there before u over wrote it. (that is if u over wrote it say 2 or 3 times :D)

    unholy, Sep 28, 2005