Data Error Reading Hard Drive ( Win98 SE )

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rob, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    My Sister, who has an old computer of mine, called me last night and
    described her situation as follows.

    She had turned on the computer, and gets thru to Windows spalsh screen, but
    receives the message
    " Data Error Reading Drive C, (a)bort, (r)etry, (i)gnore.... "
    Relevant specs of comp are:

    MidTower Case
    200W PSU
    AMD K2 - 400mhz CPU
    ChainTech AGM 2 - Motherboard
    Fujitsu 13.6 GB HardDrive

    The motherboard has been there since Oct 98,
    Tower is original,
    CPU & HardDrive were upgrades in March 2000
    Did a clean install of Windows98 SE in 2002,
    before giving comp to my sister.

    Everything has worked well for the 5-8yr period of this comp.(It began life
    as a Pentium 133mhz comp)
    I think the problem is a toasted HD, or is it as simple as a reinstall of
    SE? Any constructive help/advice appreciated.

    Rob

    Rob, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Rob

    PC Guest

    Rob

    There were a lot of Fujitsu drives that had a dud IC on the PCB. Don't know
    if yours is one but the CRC error suggests it may well be.

    Paul.

    PC, Apr 21, 2005

  3. Rob

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ben Myers, Apr 21, 2005
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Is there something that could be done to save the docs on it, or is it
    already too late for this HD ?

    Rob, Apr 21, 2005
  5. Rob

    Pennywise Guest

    |>> I think the problem is a toasted HD, or is it as simple as a reinstall of
    |>> SE? Any constructive help/advice appreciated.
    |>>
    |>> Rob

    |> Is there something that could be done to save the docs on it, or is it
    |>already too late for this HD ?

    Download this ISO and create a bootable CD with it. (you don't need to
    patch it)
    http://download.fluxxnet.com/applications/misc/Hirens.Boot.CD.6/

    It has everything you will need to try to save your stuff; as well as
    a few hard drive checkers.

    Pennywise, Apr 21, 2005