    Barry Guest

    Is it possible to use a data DAT tape in an audio DAT recorder,
    specifically a Sony TCD7?

    Barry, May 28, 2010

  2. Barry

    Meat Plow Guest

    If the tape meets the same mechanical criteria I would be one that would
    at least give it a try.

    Meat Plow, May 28, 2010

  3. Barry

    Meat Plow, May 28, 2010
  4. Barry

    chuckcar Guest

    Magnetic tape is magnetic tape. You probably won't get as high fidelity
    as you would do with "metal" tape, but that can be fixed with increasing
    the tape speed - if you have equipment that can do so.

    chuckcar, May 28, 2010
  5. Barry

    thanatoid Guest

    When I played around with electronic music in college - that was
    in the late 70's - and we were recording on /analog/ 1/2"
    decks, we were specifically told not to use computer tape (it
    was a LOT cheaper and physically exactly the same) since it did
    NOT meet the requirements and would sound like shit.

    Remember analogue has to carry amplitudes of great variety AND
    frequencies from 10 to 20KHz or more. Digital just has to record
    0's and 1's so it can, relatively speaking, be real crap, as
    long as it doesn't fall off the plastic backing.

    Now, we are dealing with digital and digital - so it's a little
    different.

    Some things can only be determined by testing. Do a test, and
    measure the results using professional test equipment. Also do
    a /physical/ test of the respective cartridges' (and of the
    *tape* they contain, of course) durability.

    Is there THAT much difference in price? Do you not care about
    the audio enough to spend a few bucks more? It's like using shit
    CD media, burning at max speed and then wondering why they are
    useless.

    Wikipedia:
    Digital Data Storage (DDS) is a format for storing and backing
    up computer data on magnetic tape that evolved from Digital
    Audio Tape (DAT) technology, which was originally created for
    CD-quality audio recording. In 1989, Sony and Hewlett Packard
    defined the DDS format for data storage using DAT tape
    cartridges. Tapes conforming to the initial DDS format can be
    read by either DAT or DDS tape machines. However, most DDS tape
    drives cannot retrieve the audio stored on a DAT cartridge.

    (...)

    A DDS cartridge needs to be retired after 2,000 passes or 100
    full backups. Tape drives should be cleaned regularly to be kept
    in good working order. DDS tapes have an expected life of at
    least 10 years.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Data_Storage

    --
    "I agree completely with what Jean-Luc said in this week's Elle:
    it's garbage. Cameron isn't evil, he's not an asshole like
    Spielberg. He wants to be the new De Mille. Unfortunately, he
    can't direct his way out of a paper bag. On top of which the
    actress is awful, unwatchable, the most slovenly girl to appear
    on the screen in a long, long time. That's why it's been such a
    success with young girls, especially inhibited, slightly plump
    American girls who see the film over and over as if they were on
    a pilgrimage: they recognize themselves in her, and dream of
    falling into the arms of the gorgeous Leonardo."

    - Jacques Rivette, on "Titanic" (James Cameron, 1997)

    thanatoid, May 28, 2010
  6. Barry

    chuckcar Guest

    Rather convienent name you have that just popped into existance from
    nowhere.

    chuckcar, May 28, 2010
  7. Barry

    chuckcar Guest

    Of course it does.

    chuckcar, May 28, 2010
  8. Evan Platt queried:

    Rule #1 : EVERYTHING "matters"!

    Rule #2 : Even the littlest, tinyest, teenyest,
    most insignificant thing "matters" -- because of Rule #1.

    Rule #3 : When you even think "it doesn't matter" --
    you *must* go back to Rule #1.

    HTH.

    Oh yeah, PS: , it's called the 'EVERYTHING "Matters" Rule'.

    FYI, IIRC, AFAIK, HYG, IRS, FEMA, USA.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and I'm not talking to the aliens

    Bucky Breeder, May 28, 2010
  9. Barry

    Tony Guest

    Your last name must be of the FROG origin.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
    day on the job for potty mouth,

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, May 28, 2010
  10. Barry

    thanatoid Guest

    You certainly could NOT be implying that D in DAT stands for
    /digital/ (audio tape) or anything?

    Learn to read the /ENTIRE/ post (not just 5 key words) before
    replying - I know it's difficult for the dick-nymmed mentally
    challenged, but TRY - or shut up.

    thanatoid, May 28, 2010
  11. No it means DAT DUMBASS thanatard.
    Irrelevant to my reply.

    ʇÉәɯ ÊoႨd, May 28, 2010
  12. Barry

    chuckcar Guest

    That had absolutely no bearing on that post.

    chuckcar, May 29, 2010
  13. Barry

    thanatoid Guest

    Not bad. Made me laugh.
    Extremely relevant, because HAD you read it, you creature, you
    would have realized (assuming you are not suffering from some
    kind of brain malfunction - see below) that I am perfectly aware
    of the difference between analogue and digital recording formats
    and the media used to record them.

    It was your reply that was totally irrelevant to /everything/ in
    the universe.

    Learn to read the /ENTIRE/ post (not just 5 key words)
    before replying - I know it's difficult for the
    dick-nymmed mentally challenged, but TRY - or shut up.

    I also think /your/ DATs need some corrective maintenance. See a
    neurosurgeon.

    (DAT - Dopamine transporter or dopamine active transporter, a
    membrane-spanning protein that pumps the neurotransmitter
    dopamine out of the synapse and into its vesicles for storage
    until later use.)

    --
    Of course, it is no easy matter to be polite; in so far, I mean,
    as it requires us to show great respect for everybody, whereas

    thanatoid, May 29, 2010
  14. Good then laugh and get along with your life.

    ʇÉәɯ ÊoႨd, May 29, 2010
  15. Barry

    chuckcar Guest

    No, you're just another nym of Tony. Nothing else is either relevant or
    important here.

    chuckcar, May 29, 2010
  16. Barry

    Tony Guest

    It's not me i swear it's not.

    Tony, May 29, 2010
  17. Barry

    Barry Guest

    Thank you. I bought two of the Sony units from an auction and I have
    my doubts they are working properly. I have plenty of DAT data tapes
    from 1.3 GB to 12 GB, but no audio tapes, hence I wondered if it is
    worth my buying an audio tape.

    Barry, Jun 2, 2010