    My ISP in this case is Juno (v.5) and they will not
    respond to inquiries unless it is a paid subscription.

    Is anyone familiar with this issue?

    Hockey Buff, Oct 31, 2004

  2. Hockey Buff

    Buffalo Guest

    DATs can be viruses.
    Scan it with several free online scanners before trying to open it again.
    "Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    There is a program on the following link that claims to :
    "Diablo Hack 206
    This is the best program for opening dat files, better than Doom Gaze."
    It may be able to do what you want.
    http://www.angelfire.com/d20/das_1/downloads.html

    Buffalo, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Hockey Buff

    why? Guest

    Yes, but I expect you want more than that?

    Used to get those at work a lot, 1/2 the company had an old email
    systems that didn't suffer from bad emails, the other 1/2 was on OL.

    From OL it always sent winmail.dat. The solution is to tell the sender
    to change thier settings, be polite and identify any attachments.

    Generally, it's a formatted version of the message.

    See www.google.com as usual,
    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 47,000 English pages for
    winmail.dat
    (0.66 seconds)

    Also search for Microsoft TNEF.

    Not only is there a lot of info there is a easy to find decoder utility
    for winmail.dat.

    Me

    why?, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Take a look at http://www.ust.hk/itsc/email/tips/tnef/
    and do as suggested. Before you try to open the attachment, don't forget to
    feed your virus scanner (after a fresh update) with that file, and also the
    extracted files.
    One of the many Outbug2000 annoyances ...

    Walter Mautner, Oct 31, 2004
  5. Hockey Buff

    Dan Glybitz Guest

    I have known of images sent with .dat extensions. Try renaming it with .jpg
    extension and viewing it.

    DG.

    Dan Glybitz, Nov 2, 2004
  6. Hockey Buff

    johnwalter

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I will give you only one solution to download the Fileviewpro software for all files, I have already used it.
    file extension tif

    johnwalter, Aug 17, 2012