    My screen has gone dark on my HP Pavilion 5547 laptop. It was doing
    this on and off for a month or so. This time it will not return to
    normal brightness. Can anyone help me with this problem please???

    lbrod, Feb 6, 2005

  2. lbrod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | My screen has gone dark on my HP Pavilion 5547 laptop. It was doing
    | this on and off for a month or so. This time it will not return to
    | normal brightness. Can anyone help me with this problem please???

    Probably one (or more) of three things:

    1) bad video components on the mainboard
    2) bad inverter (provides AC voltage to the backlights)
    3) bad backlights

    I'd suggest you take it to a shop.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 6, 2005

  3. lbrod

    intrepid_dw Guest

    This is very likely the backlight inverter. HP laptops are known for
    going through them, possibly because of poor power circuitry that
    allows power surges or bumps to get into the system and toast certain
    components, like inverters.

    If you're inclined, it is very possible that you could perform the
    inverter replacement yourself and save your self a ton of money rather
    than have HP tell you that you need a new screen for $600 or so, when
    the actual part (inverter) probably costs closer to $30 (give or take).

    -David

    intrepid_dw, Feb 19, 2005
  4. lbrod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    My thoughts too. I have one sitting here that had the same symptoms. I
    bought a used inverter from eBay. It didn't help. So now, I have either a
    computer with problems in the main or video susbsystem or bad lights in the
    display, or I have two bad inverters <g>! Not having enough experience (or
    equipment anymore) troubleshooting LCD displays, I'm not sure where to go
    next. I assume there must be some form of DC voltage (probably 12v or 18v,
    since the power supply is 18v) on the input of the inverter, and then a kick
    up on the CCFL side to some high AC voltage. I get nothing with my DVM on
    the output, so that's why I bought the other inverter. But it doesn't have
    anything on the output either, so it's back to the main (or the second
    inverter is bad too.) I'm rambling here...bad head cold...had to work today
    besides...yada yada...I think I need a nap <g>

    | This is very likely the backlight inverter. HP laptops are known for
    | going through them, possibly because of poor power circuitry that
    | allows power surges or bumps to get into the system and toast certain
    | components, like inverters.
    |
    | If you're inclined, it is very possible that you could perform the
    | inverter replacement yourself and save your self a ton of money rather
    | than have HP tell you that you need a new screen for $600 or so, when
    | the actual part (inverter) probably costs closer to $30 (give or take).
    |
    | -David

    | doing
    | > | this on and off for a month or so. This time it will not return to
    | > | normal brightness. Can anyone help me with this problem please???
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2005