    the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
    pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
    hard to frame the shot.

    VicTek, Jan 8, 2007

  2. VicTek

    ForrestPhoto Guest

    I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the room
    Are you using the onboard flash? Some have an autofocus assist beam,
    sort of like a flashlight - you might be able to work something like
    that out?

    ForrestPhoto, Jan 8, 2007

  3. VicTek

    Bob Williams Guest

    Menu > Setup > Monitor/Finder > Adjust Brightness.
    Be sure to return to original brightness after you are finished shooting
    in subdued lighting.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 8, 2007
  4. : I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the
    : room the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree?
    : The pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed,
    : but it's hard to frame the shot.

    One trick I have used a time or two. I have one of those headband mounted
    LED flashlights that swivels. I aim the light on my head toward some light
    colored part of the subject (pref not the face of the subject because it
    tends to make them flinch and squint) and use this one lighted point to
    adjust the framing. I also tend to take a wider shot than otherwise. Then
    I crop down to the desired framing in post production.

    BTW I also try to aim the light at something that I am not planning on
    putting in the center of the frame as this lighted object can fool the
    meter into thinking the subject is properly lit all over.

    One other advantage of this headlight. It makes it easier to read the LCD
    displays without a backlight on my camera.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Jan 8, 2007
  5. VicTek

    VicTek Guest

    Yes, I'm using the onboard flash. The FZ20 does have an autofocus assist
    beam which is ON. I do see the beam initially, but it is faint and turns
    off as soon as the focus is established so it doesn't help much. Actually
    the real problem is not centering the shot - it's being unable to see
    people's faces. This sometimes results in less than complimentary facial
    expressions <g>.

    VicTek, Jan 8, 2007
  6. VicTek

    VicTek Guest

    Yes, I see this option. I will give it a try, thanks!

    VicTek, Jan 8, 2007
  7. VicTek

    Frank ess Guest

    A few years back there was someone who solved this problem by affixing
    a small light to the camera. It was activated by a single press for
    focusing; releasing the button quenched the light and the focused
    camera could take an undisturbed photo.

    My EVF cameras (Nikon CP5700, 8700, 5000) all seemed to have some kind
    of compensation mechanism that brightened the EVF image beyond all
    rationality; plenty bright for framing, autofocus seemed to work well,
    but bore little relationship to light levels in the view or the
    resultant image.

    Frank ess, Jan 8, 2007
  8. Not useful for you (but brightening the EVF in the menu may be),
    but the Sony 707/717 uses an interesting solution that permits
    framing in total darkness. In a special mode, the IR light is on
    and the camera is in IR mode for viewing, but just as you take
    the picture the camera goes to normal color mode with flash.
    Neat!

    David Ruether, Jan 8, 2007