    a better operating system. That's purely on the merits-features,
    reliability, ...

    <http://www.maxbarry.com/2007/04/19/news.html>

    Au79, Apr 21, 2007

  2. Au79

    Freezer Guest

    If I don't respond to this Au79 post, the terrorists win.
    Linux is a very good OS, in some ways superior to Windows.

    But what many Linux enthusists don't (or won't) seem to get is
    that consumers will take convenience over quality every time.
    Most people won't want to wrestle with hardware drivers for hours
    at a time - only to find out its a futile battle, or that the
    intended results are underwhelming. The driver issue will hold
    Linux back (It's what made me remove Ubuntu 6.04 from my system.
    And I couldn't even get 6.10 to install)

    --
    My name is:
    ____ _

    Freezer, Apr 21, 2007

  3. Laziness, apathy & ignorance in most cases.
    "Most people" Why would they have to? From what I've seen in ten years of
    using one linux distribution or another, a great number of people don't
    have any problems with hardware.
    Then complain to the hardware manufacturers. FYI more hardware
    manufacturers are making linux drivers because of the growing numbers
    changing to linux. In a few cases, drivers are just not needed. I have a
    camera (which Fuji doesn't support with linux drivers) but I simply plug
    it into a USB port on any machine, & my OS picks it up without any trouble.
    If i had a windoze machine, & the manufacturer didn't make any
    windows drivers, I couldn't use it.

    Manufacturers like Canon & Visioneer for example (who refuse to make
    linux drivers, or release any information) are becoming the dinosaurs of
    the hardware industry.

    Depends what hardware you have. You didn't try a Live-CD first, *before*
    installing it? Did you try any other distribution, like PCLinuxOS for
    example? And NO, all linux distros are not the same.

    I have Ubuntu installed on two machines with different hardware (the
    nVIDIA cards are different too), & it runs just fine. Also got the
    Looking-Glass desktop on one of the Kubuntu distros, which uses *far*
    less resources to run than Aero.
    http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/

    William Poaster, Apr 21, 2007
  4. Au79

    Moog Guest

    "Freezer" illuminated the devils arse on Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:39:13
    -0500 by typing:
    That so-called "convenience" is quite easy to explain.

    PC manufacturers and assemblers supply pre-installed windows.

    Anyone wishing to try linux must basically install it themselves. This
    quite obviously, makes it "niche".

    The problem lies solely with Microsoft's deals with manufacturers and
    assemblers. They have them over a barrel.

    Still. *Until* such reasonable posters such as yourself, realise the
    differences, then Linux distributions are always going to be hit with
    the gobshittery and "verbal hammer" from Windows users who are too lazy
    to "try for themselves".

    Moog, Apr 21, 2007
  5. Au79

    Freezer Guest

    If I don't respond to this Moog post, the terrorists win.
    Yeah, screw me for giving up wrestling with drivers that everyone
    tells me SHOULD work, and then can't even tell me what my error
    messages mean when they don't.

    And damn those damn hardware manufacturers for not wanting to
    hand over hardware specs without expectation of compensation -
    either directly or through increased hardware sales.

    Obviously, it's all Bill Gates fault.

    --
    My name is:
    ____ _

    Freezer, Apr 22, 2007
  6. Au79

    Freezer Guest

    If I don't respond to this Au79 post, the terrorists win.
    Which assumes that A) You don't simply have a handy dandy driver
    disc for that particular device or B) You don't know what model
    device you have so you cant simply Google "Part name" + Driver.

    And frankly, I find the Microsoft generic drivers much more
    compliant than the Linux equivelants. (At least *they* would let
    me re-size my monitor...)

    --
    My name is:
    ____ _

    Freezer, Apr 22, 2007
  7. Au79

    Moog Guest

    "Freezer" illuminated the devils arse on Sat, 21 Apr 2007 19:12:50
    -0500 by typing:
    You didn't listen to what I said. When windows comes "pre-installed"
    you don't have to wrestle with error messages that are meaningless.
    However, if you had to install yourself, you'd be incessantly direct at
    KB100435890 that is written in a language that barely resembles
    gibberish.

    OK. I now realise where you are at. You've tried to install Linux and
    given up. That puts you in "quitter" league. Congratulations. You must
    feel so proud.
    LOL. It's a choice the manaufacturers make. It's a free market economy
    they are perfectly entitled to do that. However, they won't get a sale
    off me (and thousands like me), so by having some arcane attitude to
    drivers, they are naturally limiting their own market. If that's what
    they want. Cool

    If you want to invest in a product that is "by design" only going to
    work on one format, then you are a fool. You do realise that the next
    version of Windows (Vienna) is likely to be a complete re-write and
    such ludicrous hardware is unlikely to work on it. Don't you?
    What? What are you drivelling on about? Is it because I mentioned the
    deals between assemblers/manufacturers and Microsoft? Once again you
    ignore what I say and go off on some ridiculous tangent.
    Fix your sig. The delimiter is "-- " That's "dash, dash, space,
    carriage return"

    Moog, Apr 22, 2007
  9. Au79

    elaich Guest

    Ubuntu 6.06 installed on my Compaq flawlessly. Everything works. The only
    reason I don't use it is because Linux does not have a newsreader that even
    comes close to Xnews. Since Usenet takes up about 3/4ths of my online time,
    this is most important to me. I could use Pan, but it irritates the hell
    out of me. I just don't like it. I did use slrn, but somehow Ubuntu lost
    all the custom settings I made for it, and I was too mad and too lazy to do
    the whole thing all over again. Xnews will run in WINE, but is buggy.

    I would gladly use Ubuntu all the time if I could find a Linux newsreader
    that I am comfortable with. Since I can't, I'm using Windows 2000 and
    Xnews.

    elaich, Apr 22, 2007
  10. As you say, they'll lose out on an expanding market. <shrug> Their choice.
    ATi found that out, to their cost. They're now trying to play "catch up"
    to nVIDIA.
    He's an idiot, I decided to bin him.

    William Poaster, Apr 22, 2007
  11. You apparently have not read this group long enough to be familiar with
    the Umbaldino Brothers. Better tell Mongo and Rocco to bring help.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 23, 2007
  12. Au79

    Ed Propes Guest

    Suse 10.1 installed error free and easier than XP or Vista on the same
    system with same hardware. That works for me.

    Ed Propes, Apr 23, 2007
  13. Au79

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Are there more than 5 of them? Rocco weighs in at 345 and Mongo is a
    lightweight at 305 and both could give a large NBA center a hard time or
    for that matter an NFL defensive lineman.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Apr 23, 2007
  14. This is a twoo story, I swear. I knew a guy (he's dead now, and for good
    reason) who was a gun nut. Went way beyond all reason in his gun
    collection. Had AR15s, M16s, 30-06s, 44 Mags, Thompsons, 12 gauge sawed
    off's, on and on. One day a guy stopped by my shop and asked me if I
    could tell him where this guy lives. He said he's going to repo his car.
    I told him a little about where to find the guy and then said he should
    be very careful, he was definitely armed. The repo guy laughed and
    pulled out an Uzi from his jacket, said he wasn't worried. I told him he
    might start a fight with that, but he couldn't finish it.

    Having the balls of Napoleon's horse, he did repo the car and nary a
    shot was fired. I was amazed.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 23, 2007
  15. Au79

    Pennywise Guest

    Then he was a responsible gun owner.

    I had a Ruger .357 in a shoulder holster (under My arm), and concealed
    weapons permit; and a light levi type jacket covering it up.

    Coming out of the store, I had a cop chew me up one side and down the
    other cause I parked my motorcycle on a handicap boundary (a safe zone
    as far as I was concerned).

    Half an hour he lectured me, he never noticed the gun and when he was
    thru and turned around, I didn't shoot him...

    Pennywise, Apr 24, 2007
  16. I guess we all have regrets.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 24, 2007
  17. "Beyond reason"? All collectors go "beyond reason": there's no "need" for
    having 200 Barbie Dolls or 5,000 postage stamps or 4,827 baseball cards
    -- except that they *are* collectors and that's what collectors do.

    I trust you're an anti-gun nut?

    And you narked on someone to a repo man? Classy.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 24, 2007
  18. Well, if the whole town is a bunch of stool pigeons, not very long. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 24, 2007
  19. Screw you, you worthless piece of shit.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 24, 2007
  20. Sorry. 1. There's a line. 2. It's all women. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 24, 2007