Damn u apple...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill Mazlar, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. Bill Mazlar

    Bill Mazlar Guest

    There's an applescript written by apple for bluetooth applications (i.e.
    Salling Clicker) which allows the user to toggle the screensaver on/off.
    I use this with Salling Clicker all the time to keep my laptop cool when
    I'm not using the screen.

    Apparently there's a bug in the OS that makes it so that anytime I
    execute the "ScreenSaverEngine" through the applescript or even a fairly
    equivalent shell script, many very useful key combinations are disabled
    (cmd+tab: change app, cmd+spacebar: launchbar, cmd+`: change window,
    cmd+f8 thru f11: my user defined synergy itunes buttons, all expose
    functionality through f# keys is disabled, etc.)

    Applescript source code is second script at the bottom of the page:
    http://www.apple.com/applescript/bluetooth/system.html

    Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I wonder if this is even an
    applescript issue and suspect that it might be something more lower
    level. It's really annoying to be handicapped after I trigger the
    screensaver script. I googled and found no answers. Why would Apple
    release a script that does such a thing?

    Thanks,

    -Bill

    Script reproduced here in this message:
    ==================
    Toggle Screen Saver -- This script will start and stop the screen saver.
    Note that it will not force the screen saver to quit if it requires a
    password.
    ==================
    try
    tell application "System Events"
    set the process_flag to (exists process "ScreenSaverEngine")
    end tell
    if the process_flag is true then
    ignoring application responses
    tell application "ScreenSaverEngine" to quit
    end ignoring
    else
    set the target_app to ((path to "dlib" from system domain as string) &
    ¬

    "Frameworks:ScreenSaver.framework:Versions:A:Resources:ScreenSaverEngine.
    app") as alias
    tell application (target_app as string) to launch
    end if
    on error
    beep
    end try
    ==================

    The below activates the screensaver through a shell. Try running this
    in Terminal and let me know if your keys get disabled too (no line
    breaks!):

    /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEng
    ine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine &

    Bill Mazlar, Sep 16, 2004

  2. Bill Mazlar

    Bill Mazlar Guest

    Nope. Just plain old screensaver.