    bad thing to do. Most of the profit comes from those cartridges, not from
    the printer price. Anything you can do to prevent refilling increases the
    bottom line.

    Ed Clarke, Dec 28, 2004

  2. Calvin Crumrine

    Rod Speed Guest

    How little you know.

    Its a lot easier than you might think and has been a problem
    for the industry for decades now, even with full wiping contacts.

    Rod Speed, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Calvin Crumrine

    Rod Speed Guest

    As long as you dont go too far and have customers
    buy the competition's printers instead.

    Rod Speed, Dec 28, 2004
  4. However, the original poster did not indicate he had refilled until much
    later in the thread, and, if I read the thread correctly, he had only
    refilled one of the cartridges but was having problems with several
    original non-refilled cartridges, as well.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Dec 29, 2004
  5. Calvin Crumrine

    Ed Clarke Guest

    You miss the point. HP presumes that you ARE refilling, whether or not
    that's true. It's an expiration date, whether or not it's being refilled.
    This has the effect of requiring you to buy a new cartridge if you're
    refilling it and printing 500 pages per week, or not refilling and printing
    one page per month. They get their money, either way.

    Ed Clarke, Dec 29, 2004
  6. Calvin Crumrine

    Bob Headrick Guest

    To do so will ruin both the cartridge and the printer. The contacts on all HP
    printers and cartridges are gold. Some have a lube applied over the gold to
    prevent the gold on gold contact from welding itself together. In some rare
    cases this lube may crystallize, causing a poor contact. See:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060
    This is totally false. Please provide a link for your claim. Anyone who
    follows your advise will likely ruin their printer, requiring repair or
    replacement.

    - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    Bob Headrick, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Calvin Crumrine

    cozyhomelife Guest

    I"m not sure who started this thread about out of date cartridges for HP
    printers, but I will give you the little info I know about HP cartridges.
    I once put a brand new cartridge in and it did something that flagged it as
    bad, and it was a double size black cartridge - which I never bought again.
    If I'm going to risk losing a new cartridge, I don't want to risk losing the
    double sized one. Somehow it flags used up cartridges, and apparently can
    make an error and do it to new ones, too. If you are refilling them, and
    they've already been flagged, it might be the problem. If you are going to
    refill your cartridges, do it before they get too low. When I was going
    thru this problem, I had urls on it, but don't know where they are now.

    cozyhomelife, Feb 2, 2005
  8. Calvin Crumrine

    Bob Ward Guest

    Try reading the packing materials - HP will replace a non-functioning
    cartridge any time before the expiration date printed on the cartridge
    itself - especially since they can verify that the ink has not been
    used by weighing it.

    It's much more fun to flame the company, though, isn't it?

    Bob Ward, Feb 3, 2005
  9. Calvin Crumrine

    Jeff Jonas Guest

    Try reading the packing materials - HP will replace a non-functioning
    That's nice: how do I read that date when buying it at the store?
    A store that closed had a sale on everything.
    How was I to know the HP cartridges were outdated?

    Jeff Jonas, Feb 3, 2005
  10. Calvin Crumrine

    Bloggy Guest

    Try reading the packing materials - HP will replace a non-functioning
    Yes and no.

    The fact is that HP have a reprehensible policy viv-a-vis their
    paying customers. The ridiculous prices charged for consumables
    leads those of us with any common sense to conclude that we're
    dealing with a bunch of pirates.

    I have owned several HP printers in the past and they work fine.
    But I'll never buy another one, entirely due to the Great Ink
    Cartridge Ripoff. They can stick their products where the sun
    don't shine.

    Plenty other suppliers. Vote with your feet.

    Bloggy

    Bloggy, Feb 3, 2005
  11. Calvin Crumrine

    Bob Ward Guest

    It doesn't matter - they are still HP cartridges.

    But, just for reference, I picked up a brand-new cartridge off my
    shelf here - a #58 photo cartridge. Turning it over, on the back
    side, on the lower left corner, printed to align with the long side of
    the package, are the following letters:
    USA
    MAY 2005

    I'll bet there is a chart somewhere on the HP website that could be
    used to translate that to a date in English.

    Bob Ward, Feb 3, 2005
  12. Calvin Crumrine

    Bob Headrick Guest

    The cartridge has an "install by" date printed on the package, typically in the
    lower right side on the back of the package. The packaging is designed to
    allow this to be read without having to open the package. There is also an end
    of warranty date printed on the cartridge as shown at the following:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bua02014

    Regards,

    Bob Headrick, Feb 3, 2005
  13. Calvin Crumrine

    cozyhomelife Guest

    ---I'm not flaming anyone, Bob. I'm not sworn to never divulging my own
    experience with a product so it will remain a secret what kinds of problems
    exist, either.

    cozyhomelife, Feb 3, 2005
  14. Calvin Crumrine

    Bob Ward Guest

    You could have returned the catridge, but your ignorance or your
    stubbornnes apparently prevented this. I attempted to correct your
    ignorance, but the stubbornness you'll need to work out on your own.
    The problem you mentioned isn't a problem for those who can read
    simple english and follow simple instructions.

    Bob Ward, Feb 3, 2005
  15. Calvin Crumrine

    quietguy Guest

    I have not read all this thread, but it seems to me that what may be happening
    is that the HP protection against using refilled cartridges is causing the
    problem, not any date stamping.

    I suspect the other used once cartridges are being seen by the printer as
    refills - hence the error messages

    Do a google on refilling HP cartridges, and you will find the fix for this
    problem (I had it but lost it- sorry)

    David

    quietguy, Feb 3, 2005
  16. Calvin Crumrine

    GP Guest

    Flagged HP cartridges! Very interesting! So this explains Bob's reference:

    This warranty does not cover HP ink cartridges that (...) receive a
    printer-generated expiration message.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bua02014

    You know what's the next step? They'll ask for direct access to your bank
    account. What the hell? You're not printing? Why should they believe it?

    But my cristal ball reveals a bright future for companies that aren't so
    tech-savvy, who sell printers instead of registered ink dispensers.

    GP

    GP, Feb 3, 2005
  17. Calvin Crumrine

    Zamponia Guest

    OK so HP is no good.

    Which printer can I buy which won't give me a problem with either refilling
    a cart or using an off brand cart?

    Zamponia, Feb 4, 2005
  18. Calvin Crumrine

    Rod Speed Guest

    Canon.

    Rod Speed, Feb 4, 2005
  19. Calvin Crumrine

    Bob Ward Guest

    You'll have to settle for a hammer and chisel, I'm afraid - all
    printer manufacturers make the bulk of their income from selling the
    ink cartridges rather than the printer.

    The best luck I've had has been with Epson printers - they have four
    (or six or eight) individual ink tanks, so it's easy to refill only
    the color that's empty. Stratitec (www.stratitec.com) sells a kit at
    Sam's club for $19.95 that will refill the six color print cartridges
    approximately 12 times. They will also sell you an inexpensive tool
    that allows you to reset the counter chip in each cartridge so the
    printer knows that the tank is new again.

    For monochrome printing, though, you can't beat an inexpensive laser
    printer - especially if you don't print often enough to keep the
    inkjet cartridges from drying out.

    Bob Ward, Feb 4, 2005
  20. Calvin Crumrine

    Rod Speed Guest

    Doesnt mean they are all as dishonest as HP
    about making it hard to refill the carts tho.
    Same with Canon and their's are easier to refill too.
    No need with a Canon.
    Thats where the epsons are worse than most.

    Rod Speed, Feb 4, 2005