    router? I wish to use a wireless router and a wired router at the same
    time. Thanks.

    Shawn

    Shawn, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Shawn

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Yes, plug uplink to regular port. Disable things like DHCP on all but one
    of the routers, or else you could get conflicts.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Shawn

    Sean V. Guest

    Yes, it's possible. Just set the gateway of the second router to the IP
    address of the first router. Everything else should be set up as DHCP, so
    everything else should work automatically.

    Sean

    Sean V., Feb 13, 2004
  4. Shawn

    Sean V. Guest

    I second this suggestion. I forgot to mention that in my own reply.

    Sean

    Sean V., Feb 13, 2004
  5. Shawn

    Steve Guest

    You can have 2 routers but you will have to decide which one you want to be
    your DHCP server, disable DHCP on the other routerand change the IP address
    so that is on the same network (e.g..192.168.1.x) I reccomend assinging it
    an address that is outside the range of the starting address of the DHCP
    server.

    If you already have a hard wired router then just get a wireless access
    point and make it easy on yourself or just sell the hard wired router to a
    friend that needs/wants one and just get the wireless one since you can
    connect wired and wireless computers on it.

    Steve, Feb 13, 2004
  6. Shawn

    Trent© Guest

    Aren't they BOTH servers? One accesses the ISP...and the other
    accesses the other router.
    I've never had to do this. Just hook them up...and they work fine.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    That's nice to know. Thanks to Trent and everyone else for the response.

    Shawn

    Shawn, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Shawn

    Steve Guest

    You never had to do this.... hmmmm

    Well I have this exact setup and this is what I had to do.. what brands are
    yo working with?

    Steve, Feb 14, 2004
  9. Shawn

    Steve Guest

    Shawn,

    I really would not follow that advice. Both routers will conflict with each
    other.

    Steve, Feb 14, 2004
  10. Shawn

    Trent© Guest

    Mostly D-link, Linksys and Siemens.

    Don't get me wrong...I'm by no means a networking expert. But, for my
    workbench machines, all I do is connect a router to my main router in
    another part of the building. All it really does is act as a hub,
    AFAIK...since its not configured to connect to my ISP.

    YMMV...and it sounds like it does.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
  11. Shawn

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    If both routers have a built in DHCP server, and they are both serving IPs
    in the same range, you have a chance of two machines on your network
    getting, for example, 192.168.1.100.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 14, 2004
  12. Shawn

    Duane Arnold Guest

    It's Netgear but is a good example. You should also think about using the
    VPN protocols between the two and secure the wired and wireless secgments,
    since you have that oppertunity.

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,5171179~root=security,1~mode=flat

    You should think abount making the wired router the Internet (WAN) facing
    device and not port forward any ports to the safe zone router.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 14, 2004
  13. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    All right... I'll look for the DHCP setting when I get the wireless router,
    thanks.

    Shawn

    Shawn, Feb 16, 2004
  14. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    OK I just got a new wireless router and I'm trying to do this. I'd appreciate
    some further clarifications from you guys:

    1) When my old wired router acts as the only DHCP server, it means wireless
    devices are assigned their IP from that wired router instead of the new
    wireless one, which simply acts as an access point to the wired router, is
    this right?

    2) "WAN" setting for the new wireless router: should I use "Dynamic IP
    address", as opposed to "static IP address"?

    3) "LAN IP" setting for the new wireless router: should I enter an IP that's
    in the range offered by the DHCP server?

    Thanks.
    Shawn

    Shawn, Feb 25, 2004
  15. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    I just realized from this diagram
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp
    that I'm not supposed to use the uplink/WAN port when I use the second router as
    an access point. So I just connected one of the ports to the first router.

    But now I can't access the wireless browser's setup page in the browser, the IP
    address I assigned seems to be gone. I can however access the wired router's
    setup.

    Shawn, Feb 25, 2004
  16. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Never mind, a hard reset was what I needed...

    Shawn, Feb 25, 2004
  17. Shawn

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Right.
    It shouldn't matter, as you should not have anything plugged into the
    second router's WAN port.
    No, that could cause an IP conflict with another machine should it be
    assigned the same address.

    If, for example, your server is handing out 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150,
    and the first router is 192.168.1.1, make the new router 192.168.1.2.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 25, 2004
  18. Shawn

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I think you're going to have to plug a machine directly into the wireless
    router to configure it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 25, 2004
  19. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    ok, I'll try that later, thanks for the reply.

    Shawn, Feb 26, 2004
  20. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Thanks for the advice.